Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Roman archery article
Hi Folks

I am still trying to get hold of, or get access to, either the whole BAR S275 The Production and Distribution of Roman Military Equipment or, specifically, to Jon Coulston's article on Roman archery in it.

I have contacted Mike Bishop and Jon Coulston but still can't locate a copy. My local library can't help (which surprised me) and I don't have access to university facilities. Can anybody help please?
[size=150:16cns1xq]Quadratus[/size]

Alan Walker

Pudor est nescire sagittas
Statius, Thebaid
I'd also be very interested.

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:I am still trying to get hold of, or get access to, either the whole BAR S275 The Production and Distribution of Roman Military Equipment or, specifically, to Jon Coulston's article on Roman archery in it.

I have contacted Mike Bishop and Jon Coulston but still can't locate a copy. My local library can't help (which surprised me) and I don't have access to university facilities. Can anybody help please?

Since you are in Edinburgh, have you tried going into the NMS in Chambers Street and up to their library (which holds joint stock between the Museum and the Soc Ants)? I'm pretty sure I've seen it in there. Unfortunately the NMS have just redesigned their website and removed the library information page (I have emailed them about this so it may be restored) but that gave details of how to access the library if you don't already know.

If all else fails and Coulston agrees I'll scan it for you (I've been reluctant to do that up until now partly because it is very time consuming (each page has to be scanned with a black background to counteract the showthrough) but also as it requires breaking the spine of the book – thanks to the crummy design of BARs – but I was going to have to do it as part of my long-term scheme to digitise the whole thing eventually if I couldn't find offprints for all the contributions). I doubt I'll have time for that before Christmas so the NMS would be your best bet if you are in a hurry (an alternative would be to get a reader's ticket at the National Library).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks for the kind offer Mike but I think I have located a copy.
[size=150:16cns1xq]Quadratus[/size]

Alan Walker

Pudor est nescire sagittas
Statius, Thebaid

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Archery - Help Needed Quadratus 11 3,467 03-15-2013, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Titvs Statilivs Castvs
  Late roman archery (aiming)! Virilis 41 9,390 12-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Last Post: ratty
  archery in britain during roman occupation ratty 9 2,664 12-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Last Post: ratty