Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT Conference Nijmegen 2007
I've just noticed that there is no large Roman themed exhibition at Nijmegen during late November 2007. There is a small one, however, about nothing less than Roman cavalry helmets, which ends the week before. (btw, apparently a new facemask has been found here this summer)
Now that we still can change the date, that might be a consideration?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Good thought.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
you have my permission for this.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
I would also like to participate..any interest in a lecture about military music and its instruments?
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.
Quote:Now that we still can change the date, that might be a consideration?

I'm up for that! Big Grin
Hi Susanna,
We have yet to put out the call for papers, but I'm sure that would be appropriate.

In view of this exhibition (not sure how big it'll be, but cooperation with German museums is mentioned...), I would like to propose an earlier date, viz: Friday Nov 9th - Sunday 11th Nov 2007
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
No, not 11/11. Then Carnaval will start and a good girlfriend has her birthday then.

But, overall it's fine by me.
ALA I BATAVORUM
But that would be the last day, only the morning, like this year. The 16th-18th is not a good idea with the arrival of Sinterklaas and especially the Zevenheuvelenloop. The weekend of the 3rd and 4th would be an alternative, but I saw that another exhibition starts at the Valkhof then. As long as there's no fancy opening then that wouldn't be a problem.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
"There is a small one, however, about nothing less than Roman cavalry helmets, which ends the week before. (btw, apparently a new facemask has been found here this summer)
Now that we still can change the date, that might be a consideration?"
Well worth changing the date for!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Because of carneval it would be of no good to join a museum in Cologne, neither in Mainz or Bonn.

What about organizing a nice "Roman Meal" in the evening and we could entertain that with music and dance ;-) ) ?
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.
Nope, but Nijmegen will be normal on 11-11. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Hi Susanna,
We have yet to put out the call for papers, but I'm sure that would be appropriate.

In view of this exhibition (not sure how big it'll be, but cooperation with German museums is mentioned...), I would like to propose an earlier date, viz: Friday Nov 9th - Sunday 11th Nov 2007
Fine by me.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
I, too prefer the weekend of 09./11. November instead of the weekend before.
No problem here! It would be nice if we could really give the RAT's something to chew on. Seeing it is still a long way till november, I volenteer to help prepare a great Nijmegen welcome for the guests within my abbility.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:I volenteer to help prepare a great Nijmegen welcome for the guests within my abbility.
I had a similar thought. Many RATs will arrive by train or boat in the west of Holland, and probably pretty early during the day. I am thinking about organizing an activity on Friday between, say 11-16, after which we can jointly travel to Nijmegen by train. For example, a visit to the RMO or Archeon.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website