Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aquileia tombstone
Hi all,

Robert (Fectio) has posted this image of a tombstone from Aquileia elsewhere to illustrate iconographical depictions of crested 'Intercisa IV' Late Roman helmets.
[Image: t_helm_aquilea_223.jpg]

I had previously seen the soldier at the left, wearing the helmet but, what is doing the man at the middle? Is he drinking from a beaker?
What about the figure to the right?
What does the inscription say?
Has anybody got a better pic?
Oh and if any of you has the moon at hand, I'd like to have it too! Tongue

Thanks in advance! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I also have one in color, but maddingly small as well! :x
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
A pity, that stone looks pretty interesting! Confusedhock:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Some kind of trumpet thing ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
No, I'm afraid...
The object looks more like a Late Roman high, ring-footed glass beaker... :?

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
As for the content of the inscription, it is very hard to read the text from the picture. Perhaps somebody knows it CIL entry code so we can have the full transscription.

Of course the inscription is incomplete. It misses the most part of the right side. The only conclusive things I could decipher is "natus in Dardania" (born in Dardania, i.e. in Moesia Superior) and that it mentions a certain age (vixit annos...)

Nothing much, I know

Sorry.

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
I think I have a better picture of this stone in a book somewhere. Someone remind me. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Perhaps somebody knows it CIL entry code so we can have the full transscription.

Seems to be AE 1982, 383 (= AE 1991, 772):

<H>ic ego sum positus Ma[---]/nes natus in Dardani[a cum --- coniuge ---] / qu(a)e vixit annos bis qua[ternos mecum sine ull]/a querella in pace decessi [militavi inter Mo]/esiacos annis tricinta(!) / et quinque ex/{x}ibi ex protecto/ribus depositus / situs(!) diem quintu(m) Kalenda/s A(u)gustas c[o]nsules(!) / Decentio Caesa/ri et <P>aulo / consulibus

Any the wiser?!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
That's it! Many thanks, Duncan! Big Grin
So our man was a protector.
And now, we're only lacking a better image... 8)

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Thanks Duncan for the full transcription.

The date at the bottom indicates the first of August 352 AD. Decentius was an usurpator of Constantius II. He was declared Caesar in Milan in 350. He commited suicide in Sens on october 18 353 AD.

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Quote:I think I have a better picture of this stone in a book somewhere. Someone remind me.

Jasper, would that be...

SPEIDEL, M.P., 1990, The Army at Aquileia, the Moesiaci Legion, and the Shield Emblems in the Notitia Dignitatum, in: Saalburg-Jahrbuch 45, 68-72. ?

The same article also appears in one of the article collections from Speidel. I guess it is 'Roman Army Studies II' from 1992.
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Thanks Hans and Florian! We're going forwards! Big Grin

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Hi Florian,
No, it's not that. I would love to have RAS II, but no luck so far. It's in a little book about Aquileia.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I think the middle person definetely is drinking something... like you find on a lot of greek and roman tombstones, egyptian stelae etcetera.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Being from the museum of Aquilieia, the museum caption tells:

Dated by the consuls' names 352 C.E., it's an imperial christian guardsman from Asia minor, portrayed in three different moments: on the left as soldier serving the army, on the right in civilian clothing, on the centre while drinking in the refrigerium act, as symbol of the reaching of the aeternal peace as blessed soul.

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet with laurel wreath from Aquileia-IT S. Marcer 1 1,376 12-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS
  An Inscription from Aquileia Nathan Ross 8 3,218 03-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  From the museum of Aquileia TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 8 2,188 12-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat