Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sexy kit thread
Hi,

Who has the sexiest kit in the Ancient and Classical World? For me, it's the Classical Greeks - and their Archaic Period is very nice, too. The Dendra stuff is fascinating, but not what I'd call sexy. Has anybody got pics of Early Roman kit - like Danno's avatar?

(Please remember, this is a matter of personal taste -don't expect to "win" any arguments here! :lol: )
Paul

We do some early roman stuff mostly Triair
Have you any pictures?
I have the Samnite triple disc, Italo-attic, belt, greaves, etc. Cant post, but if you PM the old e-mail, I can do this.

I am having made, however, as we speak a Creatan Archaic panoply including a helmet based on the Afrati finds, now in the met, an Argos, nad period greaves. The helmet will be etched similar to the Met examples, and be the semi-corinthian, for lack of a better word, with the brow plate. My Boeotian shield is part of this outfit. Manning Imperial is doing this and is about 9 months out.

LYKAON
in Greek mood

Ralph Izard
when I feel like it
Paul

how this
Well the pottery in Louve depicting an Argive hoplite is the sexiest in my opinion.
Helmet, shield, spear and Chlamys pinned on the right shoulder.
Recomended for those with well trimmed bodies. (i.e, hunks)
That means I must intensify going to the gum :oops:
Not recomended in presence of minors or "srtongly conservative" crowd.
I am sure ladies will agree with me on that. :twisted: :twisted:
Kind regards
Definitely the eastern Celts have the sexiest kit:
[Image: Hoplite_im_Wald_Gross.jpg]
[Image: vor_der_Tur_gross.jpg]
[Image: Kelte_auf_dem_Durrnberg_gross.jpg]
(images from www.hallstattzeit.de )
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Very pretty, Christian! Is that you?
No! This is a friend of mine, Stafan Jaroschinsky from Rosenheim.
[url:179pzdn3]http://www.noricum.de[/url] and [url:179pzdn3]http://www.hallstattzeit.de[/url] are his homepages.
Christian K.

Looks good!
But what I'm wondering about concerning pre-Roman clothing - how much of that is based on artistic impressions and much based on actual finds?

I mean the skirt (sleeveless tunic? then why plaited?) and the fact that he walking bare-legged in the snow! No trousers?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I'd go for this one:
[Image: Aimee_Saic_roman_goddess_3.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
I have to agree with FAVENTIANVS! :lol:
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Quote:But what I'm wondering about concerning pre-Roman clothing - how much of that is based on artistic impressions and much based on actual finds?

All based on actual finds from Hochdorf, Hallstatt, and pics on situlae.
Christian K.

Quote:
Quote:But what I'm wondering about concerning pre-Roman clothing - how much of that is based on artistic impressions and much based on actual finds?
All based on actual finds from Hochdorf, Hallstatt, and pics on situlae.
All? Including the mini-skirt? I'm shivering when I look at it. Either Europe was a LOT warmer back then or they took the situlae too literally (like we get with Trajan's Column).

But his replicas are just WONDERFUL! Absolutely great stuff!
I wonder if he could make us a draco head...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Valerius

You make a very good point much of what we have here in Australia is based on pottery and statue interpretations. Love some costume references for Greek clothing as their stacks of Roman but not much Greek or Hellenistic material here in Australia.

We done lots of experimentation with clothing. A lot just does not hang or look right. Shoes are particularly hard. For the pleating we found that you don't really pleat but just make the tunic much wider this gives a pleat look when belted.

Heat also had a major effect on costume here. Lots our costume were wool to start with but we had lots of issues with people over heating in summer, so we tend to have wool for winter now and linen for summer.