Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How attach extra pila?
1) How did Legionaries or Auxilia store extra pila behind their shields? I have yet to see a pic that shows how extra pila would be stored behind the shield.

2) How did troops hold the pilum or spear? I'm guessing since you throw overhand they must have carried it with index finger side down with spear point up rested on shoulder then rotate the shaft away from the body to get it in throwing position. Sort of counter intuitive because I usually think of holding the spear with the index finger up for a better underhand thrust. Same with the gladius draw just seems backwards.

Thanks!
==============
Vitapondera

J. Park
Quote:1) How did Legionaries or Auxilia store extra pila behind their shields? I have yet to see a pic that shows how extra pila would be stored behind the shield.

I just place it flat against the back of the shield, just to the right of the grip, and hold it in place with my left thumb. Not sure I'd want to do a 20-mile hike like that, but it's always worked fine while I throw the first pilum.

Quote:2) How did troops hold the pilum or spear? I'm guessing since you throw overhand they must have carried it with index finger side down with spear point up rested on shoulder then rotate the shaft away from the body to get it in throwing position. Sort of counter intuitive because I usually think of holding the spear with the index finger up for a better underhand thrust. Same with the gladius draw just seems backwards.

Greek reenactors have to explain this on all the time, too. No one seems to have any real problem marching with the pilum or spear held vertically (or sloped agains the shoulder) with thumb and forefinger uppermost, then quickly and neatly reversing the grip as the weapon is brought up to thrust or throw. It's good to practice, of course, but I've seen plenty of novices do it without trouble while marching forward in formation.

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Yup, as Matt said -

hold the extra pilum with the left thumb, while holding the shield with the fingers. It takes a little practice/getting used to, but it's really easy. Although it does get tiring/sore after a period of time. I'd also note to try and hold the pilum so the buttspike is close to the bottom edge of the shield - that way you don't poke yourself with said spike on your leg, if you're holding your shield close to your body or "at rest" so to speak.

transfering grip from "carry" to "throw" while in formation is tricky, but it can be done - hence, practice! The hardest part is trying to swivel the pilum so you don't hit anybody around you.

a new technique I've been working on lately is, while holding in "carry" position, where the pilum is up over the shoulder - when going to throw, instead slide the shaft of the pilum down so the spike hits the ground infront of your feet, perhaps slightly off to the right side. The triangular block where the shaft meets the iron shaft should hit your hand. As I'm still stepping forward, I have the shaft rotate forwards, and let the block swivel in my thumb and finger so as I step "past" the shaft, now pointing forwards, spike near my heel now, I grab the pilum in the "throw" grip/position.

Also, I have noticed improved consistency with my throw by holding the block bottom edge (where it meets the shaft) with my thumb and finger, with the other fingers wrapped around the "tang", and using the thumb&finger to help spin the pilum as I throw....Opposed to the "standard" where you grip the shaft itself just behind the block. I cannot say if this is how the Romans did it, but it's been working well for me so far.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:1) How did Legionaries or Auxilia store extra pila behind their shields? I have yet to see a pic that shows how extra pila would be stored behind the shield.
The back of my copy of Connolly's Greece and Rome at War has a picture of Legio V jumping into the shallows off Britain and shows about the same method Matthew and Dudicus have suggested. As usual, it seems that Peter Connolly is ahead of other artists here! (Especially since I think he painted that before really serious reenacting got started).
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:"The back of my copy of Connolly's Greece and Rome at War"

Hey, wouldn't ya know! There it is, I don't remember noticing that before...Good eyes, Sean!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
"Also, I have noticed improved consistency with my throw by holding the block bottom edge (where it meets the shaft) with my thumb and finger, with the other fingers wrapped around the "tang", and using the thumb&finger to help spin the pilum as I throw....Opposed to the "standard" where you grip the shaft itself just behind the block. I cannot say if this is how the Romans did it, but it's been working well for me so far."

Sounds logical to me! Big Grin D

Regards to a thinker of alike thoughts
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the contubernium really have two extra men musterion 3 1,383 05-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Renatus
  What is the proper way to attach a four ring scabbard? stevesarak 11 3,220 03-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus