Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The end of the Eleusinian mysteries
Does anyone know when the Eleusinian mysteries came to an end? The Neue Pauly does not give a clue, Wiki says 392-396 but offers no sources. Anyone?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Jona,

The Mysteries must have been banned by Theodosius along with all the other pagan festivals. So we are talking about the period around 391 AD.
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Yes, plausible, but is there a source referring to the Mysteries explicitly? (Under Theodosian edicts, the Alexandrian Museum ought to have been closed too, but it was still functioning in 415. The Athenian Academy was closed by Justinian.)
Jona Lendering
My website
I agree with Jona. A legal ban did not necessarily mean that the institute in question was immediately closed. Sometimes you find repeat laws. Look at the ban on gladiatorial games..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Perhaps I must add that Synesius (In Praise of Baldness, 7), writing at the end of the fourth century, speaks about the Mysteries in the present tense. The speech is written between 387 and 400. I am hoping to find a text in which is said "this year no Mysteries" or something like that, so that I can narrow down the date of this speech.
Jona Lendering
My website
"Secretive" cults are more dificult to suppress.
I belive that Justinian is the one who managed to completely suppress the ancient faith.
Nikon a 7th century monk cites ancient faith rituals in Lakonia and Crete.
Kind regards
If you mean the eleusin misteries in the Demetra's temple of Eleusis they ended with the invasion by Alaric (395-396 c.e.) even if it seems he was not the actual destructor of the temple.

from Burckardt - Gregorovius "Sitzungsber. d. Munich. Akad. d. Wiss.", 1886, file I

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Well Alarics troopers would damage only with the aim of taking precious items. Later era monks and Justinian have been accused for systematic destruction.
Kind regards