Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reenacting with limited resources
I'm 16, with a part-time job at a retail place that pays decently, a keen interest in Mediterranean history (especially that of Rome), and a desperate itch for a hobby to consume my time and money. I found reenacting.

I've done my research, taken my measurements, and considered my options...I'm 6'6", and have a proportional head (which is too large for most helmets).

I can't afford to buy a helmet and then spend money on having a metalsmith customize it to make it historically accurate and fitting, but it seems that most helmets will be too small. I'm looking at the Gallic helmets (H and I in particular), and it just seems that it won't work out. Unfortunately, my parents compound the problem, since their stance on the internet is generally that anyone who isn't a "reputable seller" must be a thief, or in some way illegitimate.

So, the way I see it, my options are:
--Gamble my ~$100, and hope a helmet fits
--Wait until I'm 18, and can make financial decisions like this for myself

Of course, neither is particularly appealing. I'd really like to become part of the reenacting community, but...well, what do you guys think? Am I overlooking something?
AKA: Mike (Too young to reveal full name.)
Hello,

Brother, I can understand your plight. Many years ago (about 25) I was in your same shoes, a young guy making minimum wage, wanting to get involved in living history. Despite the many odd looks from my mom, I still managed to become involved in many different time periods. Here are my suggestions:

1. I started my credit by taking out a loan at the credit union. My father co-signed the loan and I used the money to purchase several original pieces from the period I was interested in. It was a good investment for the future, I started to build my credit, and it taught me to be responsible with my money and to maximize my purchases. I later sold the pieces as they grew in value for more items.

2. I was careful to purchase only the most authentic gear which would allow me the greatest range of impressions. That way I could fit in with any good, quality, authentic group and not have to worry about spending extra money to replace crappy gear later on.

3. I learned to hand sew. If you can make your own clothing based on correct patterns and construction techniques, you can save money on your impression.

4. Find a mentor. Still, years after becoming involved in this hobby I still have mentors. Might I suggest Matt Lukes (RAT member from Canada), Martin Moser (RAT member from Germany) and many others I ask their forgiveness for not mentioning their names. In the "old days" you had to use the telephone, but with the Internet, it is so much easier..

and perhaps the most important...

5. DO RESEARCH...your library card can be the most important part of your kit. Do not believe "word of mouth" sources. Visit museums. Read...read...read...build up your documentation, prove your sources, and start a file to prove your impression.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about living history I would be more than happy to help a "young blood"
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee
Quote:Hello,

Brother, I can understand your plight. Many years ago (about 25) I was in your same shoes, a young guy making minimum wage...

1. I started my credit by taking out a loan at the credit union...

Judging from your current age of 35 years old as given in your profile, you must have been 10 - and already working and taking a loan... Confusedhock: :wink:
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
It tooks 2 years to get my basic equipment.

Begin with the clothes and sandals. The more you can make yourself, the better.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
I started delivering news papers when I was 10. , My dad co-signed for my first loan when I was 11 and purchased my first original US Civil War musket (a 1842 Springfield) and saber (M1840) with the money....there was no stopping me since. Started collecting WWI US gear when I was 13, sold the collection a few years ago to put a down payment on a house.

Years later I can look back and give my great mom and dad all the credit for allowing me to get involved in living history...I have done many period from US history (Mexican War, US Civil War, WWI, WWII and now Roman History). Understanding parents can be the young living historians best friend. Hey, it made Christmas and birthday shopping easy...

That could be another suggestion, get your folks involved and let them know this is a great hobby to be involved in that teaches you so much..with all the bad things a young man can get in trouble with in the world, living history is a godsend if you are serious (or until most young men find the temptation of young women...darn them... :lol: .....
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee
Quote:I started delivering news papers when I was 10. , My dad co-signed for my first loan when I was 11 and purchased my first original US Civil War musket (a 1842 Springfield) and saber (M1840) with the money....there was no stopping me since.

Wow! Laudes to you, frater!
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Dornicus -

Keep in mind you don't nessesarily have to shell out lots of chash for armor and weapons right now. Scrimp and Save as best you can, research and invest wisely as you go.

In the meantime, continue your research, look for groups in your area to network with, maybe even get in on some used/loaner gear to start with.

As mentioned, learn to hand sew, find scraps of metal and practice working with it - measuring, cutting, forming, riveting. (even start with your own Balteus, making your own plates, even if it take a while - you'll be proud to wear it when you're done, and chances are you'll always be working on it/improving it)

Also - you don't have to rush into being a fully armed and equipped Miles right away - You could have your belt, tunic, and belt as your starting kit, portray a Tiro recruit. There are other "unarmored" people in a Legion - Clerks "pen-pushers", Calone...Or, look into earlier impressions, such as Punic wars, hardly any armor needed there, remember you're going to be constantly working on, improving (repairing) and adding onto your gear. there's no shame in that.

Don't ever try to "risk" or "hope for" a [helmet] that may really be junk - again, save up your money and research suppliers/smiths as has been mentioned. Check Leg XX's page, www.larp.com/legioxx for supplier listings, as well as others.

Even if/when you do end up getting not-so-good gear, you can either modify it, or just use it until you can upgrade/replace it with something better, or try to re-sell it.

During this time, as Mark mentioned, keep on doing a good job, build up credit, and be very careful...meticulous...on your finances. It's not only good for reenacting, but good for the Real World too.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Wow, guys, thanks so much. I've already started bookmarking "how-to" guides on sewing my stuff together...if only metalworking was this easy and accessible!

Something I perhaps forgot to mention...my parents are supportive, and willing to shell out the money for a helmet this Christmas, as a start to what I hope will be an extensive collection.

But the problem with that is that if I buy one that's too small, they'll have a "bad taste in their mouth", so to speak, for purchasing reproductions of this sort from the internet.

Are there any reputable merchants that would be willing to reshape a helmet to fit my somewhat oversized skullbucket?
Mike, just how big is your head? I have a size 8, and several helmets to show for it.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
24.1cm front-to-back
62.23cm around
14.6cm temple-to-temple

I'm not sure what "size 8" is, unfortunately...but, where'd you find 'em?
Dornicus: Why are you not making an impression of a light infantryman? You do not neccessarily need any armour, just a shield, javelins, a tunic, a cloak, a belt and sandals. And: Most people don´t do it, you have something special.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Hi Dornicus,

from the excellent tips Mark gave you let me also especially emphasize this one:

Quote:and perhaps the most important...

5. DO RESEARCH...your library card can be the most important part of your kit. Do not believe "word of mouth" sources. Visit museums. Read...read...read...build up your documentation, prove your sources, and start a file to prove your impression.

I've seen many items that were copies of copies of copies .... of a copy that wasn't properly done in the first place. I have the impression that too many people do not take the time to properly research what they buy/build, maybe because what they see looks fine to what they think it could or should have been like. People in ancient times didn't necessarily share those views ;-) )
Anyway, what I wante to say, was, research first for yourself what you want to build or buy, then look at the reconstructions available and form an opinion on them based on that research. And then make the best choice or - even better! - do them better, there's almost always room for improvement.

If I can be of any help, let me know :-) )
Frater,

Another piece of advice I have not seen -- join the nearest Roman re-enactment group in your area.

Most of them host monthly workshops, and you will be surprised how many members are able to modify things like helmets, help you make your gear, and even give you gear that they no longer use.

This is also the best way to learn the skills that you will then use yourself. Once somebody has shown you how to make a balteus or a scutum once, you'll find it is much easier than you think.

Groups (Legios) are a great way to get the help (and resources) you need.

Vale,

Calvus
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
Salve Dornicus(Mike).
You may not know that until very recently most "off the shelf" helmets were larger than most people's average size heads. I have a Gallic H
that is too big for me without waaaay too much padding(I wear a size 7 1/4 hat size) and I'm pretty sure it'll fit you. It was the most improved one and approved by most groups.Send me a P.M. for more details.
Pics of it are here on RAT.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Calvus said it best

We have a small chapter in TN and Calvus's GA

In addition the Legio IX Hispana HQ can assist.

Write me direct for info about our Program

I'll need to talk to your folks, but we have a system that allows younger members to earn gear.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America