Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum 9 AD
I was wondering whether the Haltern shield bosses (like these wonderful reproductions by manninimperial)
[Image: 1086588343.jpg]
belonged to shields without a spina, or if they had a wooden spina starting at the end of the shield boss? Anyone any ideas?

Also Junkelmann states in "Die Legionen des Augustus" that the later scuta had brass spinae, so I was wondering whether these actually are present in the archaeological record. These would go well with such a boss
[Image: 349main.jpg], but wood would be quite a sensible choice as well. Big Grin
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Hi Christian,

The first photo (at the top in your post) has no provision for a spina, but the boss below it has the two raised openings to take a strengthening bar or spina. There are similar examples from Mainz and Carlisle (slightly later period) of this type.

Here's the find from Mainz..
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... bo_1-2.jpg

There are also finds of bifurcated metal shield strengtheners which have been found in the same context as the second type of boss. (Namely Carlisle)
Not really answering the question, but these links and pics often get lost in the morass of posts: The Fayum Scutum

[url:tcm1mpkt]http://www.roma-victrix.com/armamentarium/scvta_scutumelfayum.htm[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
But here's the Carlisle one at top:

[url:1vphwevm]http://www.roma-victrix.com/armamentarium/scvta_umboequitatus.htm[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks Jim, I didn't post that image as it is of a different typ[e of boss!

The Fayum scutum has a wooden boss, simplified later by the iron equivalent.
Quote:bifurcated metal shield strengtheners
Hmm. That´s interesting. Do you have any pics of these?
I am working on a 9 AD shield, the shield body is finished, but I am not sure about the assemblage of the findings. AFAIK there are no metal spinae from Haltern or Kalkriese. I suppose that the first shield boss above could go with a Kasr-El-Harit shield body without spinae, and the second with either a wooden or a metal spina, what do you think?
Christian K.

Would the wooden boss on the Fayum scutum have had a metal boss over it? I was waiting for one like that, but the carpenter quit, so now it will only have a metal boss! Sad

If it is too unauthentic, then I will probably try to make the wooden boss and spina myself! (and off into la la land I go)

I am thinking they were still using the republican scutum in 9AD?

Is that the kind you are refering to here?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Kasr-El-Harit is in the Fayum, so it´s the same shield. Fayum is simply too unprecise, as there are other shields from there as well.. Smile
Christian K.

Quote:I am thinking they were still using the republican scutum in 9AD?
Possibly, but by the Augustan period you were more likely to see the curve-sided scutum (top and bottom cut off).

@ Christian. I know I have some photos somewhere of the metal strengtheners, As soon as I find them I'll post them.
Cool! Smile
Christian K.

Great, I already have one of them! That was one reason I wanted it!
The republican will do for a Caesarian impression then! Big Grin D
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ok, Found some pics Christian!

These shield components are from Vindonissa. The parts with the loops at the ends are the bifurcated strengtheners I mentioned earlier..

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... ldbars.jpg

There are some in the Lunt Museum in Coventry that I have seen up close too.

Michael Simkins' reconstruction places them on the front face of the shield
[Image: Simkins.jpg]

Which would fit in nicely with the shield boss from Carlisle.

The Simkins reconstruction of the Kasr el Harit scutum used the boss from Mainz and wooden spina, although he also added a metal facing to the spina.

[url:3jmvnyqb]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/peronis/KasrelHarit.jpg[/url]
Dear Caiustarquitius,

in my opinion there is a mixture of shield types in the augustan period.
The arch in Orange (around 20 AD) shows still the republican oval-scutum and the relief from St. Remy (Glanum), dated as late augustan, shows clearly the cut-scutum.
Peroni, thanks a lot! Smile o
Christian K.

I don't understand why a metal facing would be added to an already thickened shield area with a wooden spine and/or or umbo? Unless the easily replaced metal parts were applied to save on the much harder to replace wooden parts, which were integral to the scutum's construction in the first place.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!