Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hadrian Wall Garrison 4th Century AD (Around 360 AD)
Hello All! I am trying to construct a 3D model (as accurate as possible) of an auxiliary soldier stationed in England around the year 360AD.

To begin with I have a few questions,

Many sources indicate soldiers wore white tunics with decorations for everyday life duty, and red tunics during battle. Is the information reliable? Did military tunics come with decorations? or was it something a soldier would add on his own?

I am using this image as a reference, Osprey series: Pictish Warrior

[Image: 111wc4.jpg]

how accurate is the image compare to a real roman soldier might of looked like?

Your help will be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.
Igyr
Good to see the boys visited Depeeka before the let those picts butcher them! Confusedhock:

the late tunics had decorations on them so from what I have seen they look ok! The more expert people on here will know just how accurate they are though!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
But why do this late roman guys fight on the pictish side of the wall with closed gates behind them? Confusedhock:
Patrick Stritter
Publius Militiares sine Cognomen
Legio Comitatenses Minervii

I\'\'ve seen things you people wouldn\'\'t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Roy Batty
They lost a bet and have to behave extra foolish, and now are being made fun of. They even have to move away their shields when attacked. See all the Romans on the wall cheering? The Roman right in front has nothing to do with all the fuss, he´s just visiting his chiropractor.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
or possibly were returning from a patrol, and were caught on the wrong side of the wall in a raid.......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yeah, and that naked Pict also lost a bet - he had to re-enact an Iron Age Celt of 300 BC! :twisted:

Seriously though, the only thing I can't say much about are the shiel;ds (because they don't show). Otherwise, the helmets look bad, the tunics are wrong, as are the swords, scabbards and baldrics, and the bows.

And can anybody enlighten me as to why the Romans have all those torches on top of the wall when it's still daytime?

BTW, mr Artist, please add your real name to your signature. it's a forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Yeah, and that naked Pict also lost a bet - he had to re-enact an Iron Age Celt of 300 BC! :twisted:

Seriously though, the only thing I can't say much about are the shiel;ds (because they don't show). Otherwise, the helmets look bad, the tunics are wrong, as are the swords, scabbards and baldrics, and the bows.

And can anybody enlighten me as to why the Romans have all those torches on top of the wall when it's still daytime?

BTW, mr Artist, please add your real name to your signature. it's a forum rule.

Its not day time, its the aura of the fires. The way I see it the artist was trying to show how picts would act in action by putting all these romans outside of the wall, or a small party of romans simply rushed at them not realizing they would be outnumbered.

Vortigern can you please comment why are the helmets incorrect? what type of a helmet should it be? same with the tunic, and the scabbard
Igyr
Quote:Vortigern can you please comment why are the helmets incorrect? what type of a helmet should it be? same with the tunic, and the scabbard
Helmets: Intercisa helmets but extremely simplified here, with wrong neck plates.
Shield: not all Late Roman troops in Britain were members of the Secunda Britones!
Swords: to big cross-guard, no long spatha blades.
Baldrics: too wide, look like 3rd c. types.
Scabbards: the artist looked at a Deepeeka one, probably.
Trousers: I did not comment on that earlier, but they wear baggy trousers instead of close-fitting ones.
Tunics: Wide sleeves - half-sleeved?? With a long-sleeved tunic underneath? Looks like a Viking! The decoraction pattern is also non-Roman, with odd shapes and horizontal stripes across the arm.

And the Late Roman army did not wear uniforms with all the men similarly dressed! that's a modernism that we can't seem to get rid off - sure guv'nor, they were all soldiers, right? So they all wear the same sweater, right? I blame Asterix. :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Well said, Robert! 8)
We could go in more detail if you are patient and interested on the subject, Igyr. We've got most of the available information (sometimes scarce, sometimes, more definite) but nobody started knowing everything.
And now a group of hardened Late Roman soldiers as a starter :wink:

[Image: congres2006e.jpg]

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I like this one better:

[Image: 2006archeon_batavi12.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Trousers: I did not comment on that earlier, but they wear baggy trousers instead of close-fitting ones.
Tunics: Wide sleeves - half-sleeved?? With a long-sleeved tunic underneath? Looks like a Viking! The decoraction pattern is also non-Roman, with odd shapes and horizontal stripes across the arm.

maybe they were into some kind of ancient grunge music? 4th century generation X ?
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Hmmm Robert.... I see one of the boyos in your pic has baggy trousers!
And 2 with none at all! Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

nice pics though, and as I am not an expert I will say no more! :roll:

Regards
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
But why do this late roman guys fight on the pictish side of the wall with closed gates behind them?

In the Bello Gallico CAESAR writes about legionaries who slept on duty, and who were punished not by fustuarium, but by being forced to sleep outside the walls of the castellvm for one night, prone to attack of barbarians......

so......... they also fell asleep on duty.......

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Hmmm Robert.... I see one of the boyos in your pic has baggy trousers! And 2 with none at all!
Well his aren't as bad as those in the drawing. The lower part is tighter. But you are right, they should be really close-fitting!
[Image: 2006archeon18.jpg]

Mine are far worse:
[Image: 2006archeon_Igermanica33.jpg]

Not at all is also possible.
[Image: piazzarmerina.JPG]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Well, baggy or not so baggy, I've reconstructed my trousers upon museum patterns of the Damendorf ones and they are not exactly tight-fitting
[Image: pantsfront.jpg]
About going without trousers, it was very common, as iconographical sources show.
[Image: fasciaecrurales.jpg]

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auxilia - Tungrian on Hadrian\'s Wall Paul Elliott 19 5,617 11-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall ParthianBow 52 13,577 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Hadrian\'s Wall Charity Walk Tony Riches 9 2,460 06-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: chrisanson