Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alamanni
As I have already seen, most of you guys are archeologists, mostly speciallized in ancient Rome and Greece, but perhaps you could help me with some barbaric tribes. I'm looking for some information abaut Alamanni warfare. Especially durning Julian the Apostate campaing in Gaul. Do you know anything about their weapons, armor, and tactics? A little bit about religion and policy would also be very helpful.
I alomst forgot. Doese any of you know smoething about the battle at Argentoratu, what kind of formations foght there on Roman side?
Daniel Budacz

Fortuna non penis, in manus non receptus...
Quote:I alomst forgot. Doese any of you know smoething about the battle at Argentoratu, what kind of formations foght there on Roman side?

You can start by simply searching Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_ ... _%28357%29
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Vortigern Studies
Well indeed, I have already looked there, but there is one problem with wikipedia, the autor didin't mantion sources he took thoese information from. I supose that information about the number of soldiers who fought there are taken from Ammian Marcellius and pictures of Julian's soldiers shiled patterns are from "Notitia Dignitatum" but i have no idea from which source details abaut troops types in each legion are taken Sad
Daniel Budacz

NEVER trust Wikipedia!
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Quote:NEVER trust Wikipedia!
Only when you've written the text yourself.. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Get this book:

Red.v.K.Fuchs et al., Die Alamannen, Stuttgart, 1997.

It´s the best overview you can get, AFAIK
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Take also a look to Gibbon's work:

Edward Gibbon, "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"

search in the index the pdf files at:
[url:3rkxttar]http://oll.libertyfund.org/Home3/Set.php?recordID=0214#vol01[/url]

And visit this french forum:
[url:3rkxttar]http://111935.aceboard.fr/i-111935.htm[/url]

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Quote:Only when you've written the text yourself.. :wink:

Oh OK then! Smile
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Robert,

What would Roman cavalry tactics been in a battle like Strabourg? With the German cavalry dismounted, there would not have been horseman on horseman action. Would they have tried to turn the German line?

In other foruii, we've discussed the futility of mounted attacks against massed infantry, yet cavalry seem to have played major roles in several late empire battle--Adrianpole also comes to mind.

We also understand how they may have functions as scouts and screening forces, but do we have any authoritative account of how cavalry were employed on the battle field?
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Only well trained spearmen or pikemen with good moral can stand up to cavalry.
All other incantry they might be cowed and shaken and then fail to stnd firm so they can be butchered as they flee.
Cavalry is used as a terror weapon.

Kind regards
Lets restrickt this to Strasbourg (or else re-open an older thread, we've discussed cav vs. inf. before):

In fact, the heavy cavalry easily panicked after the commander was injured, and only with difficulty did Julian manage to keep them from fleeing.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Many military units panic after their commander is injuried.

Do your sources tell how they were being employed, or how Julian used them after he got them turned around?
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Maybe I am stupid :oops: but did not kataphraktoi panice during battle of Argentoratum because Alamanni attacked the horses and hurt horses’ underbelly. And the next question to confirm my stupidity Wink : what’s the difference between kataphraktoi and clibanarii? Did the difference result from conventional terminology or were there any principal differences in armament? The late antiquity isn’t my strong point.
Daniel Budacz

We have discussed that in the Roman section.
Please do search in the site for "klibanion" or "krivanos"
Kind regards
Quote: Maybe I am stupid :oops: but did not kataphraktoi panice during battle of Argentoratum because Alamanni attacked the horses and hurt horses’ underbelly.
No, they panicked because their commander was injured.
AM XIV.12.38

Quote: And the next question to confirm my stupidity Wink : what’s the difference between kataphraktoi and clibanarii? Did the difference result from conventional terminology or were there any principal differences in armament? The late antiquity isn’t my strong point.

We discussed that HERE and HERE.[/quote]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans