Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
late roman spatha
avete Omnes

I would like to have some help about the spatha of the period of Marco Aurelio.how was long the blade?somebody have some foto of some good reproduction?was one type of spatha for infranty and cavalary or not? thank you
PierPaolo siercovich
Hi! Please put your real name into your signature, that is forum rule here. See also the form rules in the link below.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
sorry

I am Pier Paolo my latin name is Rusticus I write from Tivoli in italy
PierPaolo siercovich
He ment in your profile, you find it under the button "Profile" upper left side.

To your question: Junkelmann call the length in the time of the eraly 2nd (Trajan, Hadrian, Anton. Pius) round about 65 -70 cm.
The blade of Canterbury out of the 2nd half of the 2nd century, type of Nydam is really 69 cm long and 5 cm wide.
A publication of the Limesmuseum Aalen tell us, that the norm would be round about 90 cms
The spatha of Cologne is with the grip indeed 93 cm long, the blade alone 73 cm.
Perhaps you will also take an eye to the ring pommel swords.
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
thank you very much

so the longest was variable...and how looked the scabbard?
PierPaolo siercovich
Pier,

Enter your real name into your signature, as Christian asked. You updated your profile, not your signature, which is shown under every message that you send.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? Lucius_Aelius 19 8,230 12-12-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: deepeeka
  Late antiquity spatha question LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 21 5,854 04-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: XorX
  Late Roman Spatha- Pattern welded blade markusaurelius 27 9,622 12-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius