Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crests as a defense!
A friend of mine in the British army pointed out to me that those rather impressive looking helmets worn by HRH Lifeguards, etc had rather impressive crests for more than the appearances sake! The hair actually helps to fend of blows to the head by swords! Perhaps there was more to ancient crests as well, other than an attempt to "appear taller and more formidable to their enemies"

Anybody have any comment's?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, the guards have those big, hairy ones, right? I think there's a difference.

A Roman crest might be an extra defence, but also something to be grabbed by the enemy, to the owner's discomfort.... Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well no, theirs is more similar to the republican crest I would say! Are you thinking the Bearskin helmets? I am refering to the chaps in the shiny breastplates and helmets, with red crests! And trying to grab a crest would be as wise as grabbing the helmet tiself, or the scutum! Likely to get you a gladius in the belly, etc for your trouble!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Not if you have your scutum in front of you (as you should) or if you come from behind. Odysseus did that to paris as early as the Bronze Age..

Can you find a pic of these modern crested helmets?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
he means the Household cavalry:

[Image: hcr.1.jpg]
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Sure, a crest will add to a helmet's protection, but that's not its *purpose*. It's there to look good, which is indeed important in an ancient battle. If they'd wanted something on the helmet which was primarily protective, they could simply have used something like the 2nd century AD crossed braces, eh?

Grabbing someone's crest means having to put away or drop your own weapon, probably drop if it's a spear. Not my first choice of tactics! And if you get behind the guy, why not just hit him?

Valete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
It looks like those guys are wearing clothespins on their helmets.

Legion: TBD
A crest on the helmet is a disadvantage to the wearer if the crest is hit with a sideways blow. It makes the neck the fulcrum, and the taller the crest, (and the further from the fulcrum) the more force is multiplied to the neck. In American football, it would analogize to a "vertical facemask", if that makes sense.

The result could easily be a sprained or broken neck, a fall to the ground, and/or a dislodged helmet. None of those things are what you look forward to in a battle. That's my view, anyhow.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Just going by what a British soldier told me! :wink: I'll tell him he was full of S@#T then, shall I? I personally think it has merit to the idea! The crest is an additional barrier! (and of course has the added visual impact!) If the scutum saves you from everything, why bother with a helmet and armour at all? Just run around naked like the Gauls! :lol:

Have a good one!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Crests for the most part just aren't built with defence in mind. Those clothespins might be different, but to me that looks like part of the helmet as opposed to a crest. Given the construction of Roman crests, I don't think they'll do much of anything.

I also don't think that crest on the modern british soldier's helmet is goingto stop a 5.56 mm either. So yeah, you can proably tell him he's full of it, since we generally don't fight with swords anymore. 8)

Legion: TBD
I reckon they were well suited to cushioning a blow! Easier to replace a crest that a bashed helmet, and the associated headache! IMHO!
If you disagree, it is a free world! Now a 5.56MM is another story, altogether! I just tend to think it makes a bit of sense.

But I am sure there are Legions who don't! Can't say that will change my opinion! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There's a lot to be said for hair as a defence. Felt is hair.

But, another soldier once told me that the braids hanging down the sides of an hussar's face also served to deflect sabre blows, and very successfully apparently. It makes me wonder if a Spartan's braids were more than just decorative.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Certainly make good padding at the very least!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
And they help you look fierce when your fighting makes them flap about!

Me? I don't have enough hair to make a tiny braid any more. So it's *boink* right on the scalp. :?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I am like a billiard ball these days! Thats why I am a big fan of padding!
And jealous of my Spartan ancestors with their long, braided hair! :x lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  City defense Lothia 8 2,249 05-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  Cavalry Defense Anonymous 9 1,933 02-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Los456