Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fun topic, national uniforms
for those people on RAT who have served in the military or are currently serving, it might be interesting to compare equipment and uniforms.

include: nation(s)
dates of service
branch of service
description or photo of uniform/gear
and as many of the following as possible
-weapon(s)
-Rank
-critique on weapons and gear
-any other interesting information from your time in the service.

ill start i guess:
- U.S. (state of michigan)
-Medical (unit that manages the strategic natl. stockpile materials coming into an area)
-2005-current
-woodland BDU, being phased out for the ACU (the greyish digital camo) most troops qualify with the M-16A2 or A3, depending.
aka., John Shook
Boys Brigade (pre-Scouts, therefore tougher)
6th Birkenhead (Brokenhead :wink: )
Drummer (95% in competition)
School blazer with white sash.

You said "fun topic".
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
yep, lol, that works
aka., John Shook
i forgot to mention the class A service uniform is being streamlined to one blue one for all occasions, the wear out date for the greens is 2011, the change is effective Jan 2.
aka., John Shook
can anyone happen to tell me what the typical british battle dress for hot weather was in the 70s and early 80s?
aka., John Shook
Quote:i forgot to mention the class A service uniform is being streamlined to one blue one for all occasions, the wear out date for the greens is 2011, the change is effective Jan 2.

Pardon my confusion...

Are you saying that the US Army is going from its green Class A uniform to a BLUE one?

Will this be similar to the current Dress Blues (required for all officers and optional for enlisted ranks) or something else?

Oh have I misunderstood your post?

(As the US Army moves away from the Division and back to the Brigade as the major operartional unit, as it was during the American Civil War, then it perhaps makes sense the uniform too would revert back to Blue.)

:? ? ?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
its the same blue that we have always had for very formal occasions, theyre just eliminating the green class A essentially. also, black combat boots for the most part have a wear out date set in 2008 Cry i like them, theyre......shiny
the new combat boot is tan-ish BTW
aka., John Shook
Quote:its the same blue that we have always had for very formal occasions, theyre just eliminating the green class A

Hmmmmm....

Very interesting.

I'm not certain that I understand the rationale for this move or, like the adoption of the black beret for use by all troops, agree with this change. One thing I do admire about the US Marines is their fashion sense.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Army adopts new blue uniform
Soldiers Magazine, July, 2006 by Don Wagner

"We have all of these variations of uniforms--green, blue and white," said Army Chief of Staff GEN Peter J. Schoomaker. "It makes sense for us to go to one traditional uniform that is really sharp and high quality, and which Soldiers will be very proud to wear. And that's what we've done by adopting this blue Army Service Uniform that reflects simplicity, quality, utility and tradition."

Many Soldiers already own an Army blue uniform (now to be called the Army Service Uniform) and may continue to wear it. Introduction in the Army military clothing sales stores should begin in the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2007. Introduction in the Clothing Bag should begin in the first quarter of FY 2009. The Mandatory Possession Date is expected to be the fourth quarter of FY 2011.

A wear-out date for the Army Green Class A and White dress uniforms will be determined at a later date.

Man o' man.

No more Dress Whites -- this is not going to be much fun for the 25th Infantry at Schofield Barracks Hawai'i when it comes time for the Commanding General's New Year's Day reception.

My Dress Blue uniform was wool -- way too hot for the tropics.

Plus, you do not wear unit shoulder patches on Dress Blues so this part of US Army heraldic tradition will also be lost since only subdued unit patches are worn on the BDU.

As General Patton said, "God how I hate the future."

I do not hate the future, but I know what the General means.

:? cry: :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
im not a big fan either, i like the green. never thought of how HOT it would be for some guys.........ugh, summer here in michigan can get up to 100 degrees easy, it is bad in the green, but that blue will just suck in the sun.......
aka., John Shook
US
Army 1969-1973
Medical

2/60, 9th Inf. Div. Republic of South Viet-Nam (RSVN), now defunct.
Basic issue jungle fatigues, or black market camo of any type you like. No resupply after late 1969 of basic field gear. Some unofficial unit patches. Mostly no one wore rank insignia. A lot of improvised, or captured gear of different types. Some photos, none scanned yet.

57th Dustoff (Medivac) again, RSVN
Flight suit, issued used, SPH-5 flight helmet, very used. Unofficial unit patch on pocket. Issued .38 cal S&W revolvers for some reason, and no holsters. You bought these in Can Tho. Flight units then sometimes still wore the color patches. My flight suit is still in my closet, and it almost still fits...

We did not look anything like the regulations said we had to...

Ralph Izard
hats off to you ralph, i was told by one vietnam veteran that he carried an AK-47 on patrols in 71-73, i always wondered how widespread it was, can you give any insight possibly?
aka., John Shook
Ummm...

There were plenty lying around most of the time, but I never knew anyone to carry one. Unlike TV, you rarely see who you are shooting at. The AK makes a krak-krak sound. They liked to shoot in bursts that made the barrel ride high. Which was kinda cool from our point of view. Ours go bang bang. You don't shoot at bang bang. You do shoot at krak krack. You also shoot at green tracers, not the red ones. It is not real safe to carry an AK. Especially at night.

No, the AK does not jam. Yes, the M-16 does. It would not have jammed as often as it did, if we had ever been given cleaning kits. We often used lighter fluid and someone else's t-shirt to clean ours. I stole a t-shirt off the clothes line behind the battalion HQ.

Ralph
thats what they told us in training, not to pick up enemy weapons too much, so i figured that. they said if were in the desert saran wrap, cndom, or anything around the muzzle will help a little.
aka., John Shook
1991-1992 Hellenic Army Armoured corp.
We are modeled on NATO and this is reflected in the uniforms.

Black berret (issued to armored troops only)
Dark green fatigues (Vietnam style U.S.)
Cammo fatigues in the border (Tenue Leopard-French Indochina style)
The Air force has grey-green blue of the same pattern.
(Became very popular with Serbian police too!)

Government uniforms were satisfactory except bad weather jacket.
I preferred a felt-made 1950s pattern that I scrounged from the depot.
Boots are good but no extreme weather socks were issued.
Some times modern staff is not so good as older staff.

The Presidential Guard wears pattern of the EVZONI light infantry dress.
The winter order imitates the 1890 pattern and the summer order imitates the 1912 pattern
The Great Uniform imitates the 1821 guerillas outfit based on the national costume of Central Greece

Heavy Heapons are mostly U.S pattern but French and German Gear is used. (God I loved the MG-3!).

Berret in my time was
Black-Armor, Green-Special forces, Red-Helicopters, Dark blue-Marines,
Sky blue-Presidential Guard.
They changed the patterns now.
Regards