Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about Plinius\' Naturalis Historiae Book 34
Greetings,

I've been studying Plinius' book on non precious metals for a while and I have some questions. i'd be very grateful if anyone could help me.

A link to an English translation of Plinius' book: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... chunk=book

1. Chapter 40:

Quote:The artist Aristonidas, wishing to express the fury of Athamas subsiding into repentance, after he had thrown his son Learchus from the rock, blended copper and iron, in order that the blush of shame might be more exactly expressed, by the rust of the iron making its appearance through the shining substance of the copper; a statue which still exists at Rhodes.

Is there any archaeological find from the Roman period that is made from an alloy of copper (Cu) and iron (Fe)?

2. Chapter 41:

Quote:But the main difference results from the quality of the water into which the red-hot metal is plunged from time to time. The water, which is in some places better for this purpose than in others, has quite ennobled some localities for the excellence of their iron, Bilbilis, for example, and Turiasso in Spain, and Comum in Italy

Is this true? Can the composition of water influence the quality of the iron that is quenched in it? Can it be that a high percentage of a certain mineral or acids in the water influences the iron?

Thanks in advance,
Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Is there no one out there who can answer these questions?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
1. Chapter 40 - alloy of copper & iron
At present time I do not know of any alloy of copper and iron.
You may find something in Tylecote.

2. Chapter 41 - water properties
Water properties are extremely important in the quenching of iron and steel. In Britain one of the most important areas for steel production was Sheffield. The reason why the iron and steel produced at Sheffield was such a high quality was because water fromthe River Don was used. The River Don passes through carboniferous limestone & gritstone and the properties it picks up from this source gives the water a uniqueness producing the best quality metals in the world.
Thanks Claudia! This is perfect! Laudes for you Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Actually it wasnt from me - it was from 'im indoors - Rob Travis.
He must've logged on auto as me instead of his own.
Mining & quarrying is more of his thing than mine.
He also forgot to slap his name on the end of it too.

Hilary Travis
The quality of watter does influence the quality of the iron objects quenched in it. That's why some blacksmiths in Romania (and also there are references for medieval smiths doing this) put pieces of raw leather and other substances I can't remember in the quenching barrel and let them there for a period, making a sort of "soup" in which they quench the objects.
Romulus Stoica

Better be a hawk for a day than crow for an year!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Naturalis Historia: metal melting temperatures Marcus Mummius 0 898 02-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius