Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masada Roman legionary camp site finds... where??
Hiya all i am looking for any info on finds that have been done during the excavations of the Roman legionary camps around Masada... F1-F7 i think... not sure.......

unfortunately i do not have access to JSTOR, and am having difficulty to find any good and thorough online info...

anyone on this?

AVE ATQvE VALE

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I too would be interested in the finds from Masada.

According to the Carol van Driel-Murray article "A rectangular shield cover of the Coh. XV Voluntariorum cR - JRMES 10 1999" there was a fragment of rectangular shield board discovered which has leather on front and back faces.

Apparently under investigation at the Hebrew Museum Jerusalem. I still haven't seen any publication of the item. Anyone else seen it?
About the side itself and the exvaction of Massada theres
"Masada, der letzte Kampf um die Festung des Herodes" of Yigeal Yadin.

Some quite nice informations about the campside of the romans, but the focus is in the fort itself.
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
The militaria from Masada has never been published.

Guy Stiebel has announced that the military equipment will appear in Masada Report VII (although the Israel Exploration Society claims that volume 7 is the pottery, so maybe the military equipment will be Vol. 8 ).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Excellent!

Thank you Duncan Big Grin
You're welcome! Smile
By the way, I like the new avatar, Adrian. Very imposing. (The Lunt, I think, with atmospheric skyscape.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
This is what the Israel Exploration Scoiety told me in May, 2006:

"Masada VIII is scheduled for publication in 2007." This is volume will be the military finds. Of course, in 2005 they said it would be published in 2006. So, who knows?
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
lets hope so!!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Just to set the records straight. The publication of the militaria from the excavations of Yadin at Masada will take place this year 2007, under the title Masada VIII. It was indeed part of volume VII, but at the last minute it was omitted from the pottery volume due to varied editorial considerations (believe me, I want it out too...). All the material was uncovered on top of Masada.

As for MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS question regarding the equipment from the siege camps. First, there are 8 camps ( indeed known as F1-F8 ) as well as a "bauplatz". Very few items were found there during the 1960's excavations and some more artefacts were uncovered in the 1995 expedition. I have recently concluded this study. It will be part of the publication of that season, presumably in JRA (Journal of Roman Archaeology) monographs. It is scheduled to be submitted to the editor by the end of 2007.

Data from our excavations between 1995-2001, is available in... Hebrew (though seemingly less approachable to most members here). Some more references maybe found in the Akten der 14. Internationalen Roman Military Equipment Conference (ROMEC), Wien 2003: Carnuntum ahrbuch 2005.

Guy Stiebel
Thanks for the clarification, Dr. Stiebel, and welcome to RAT.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thanks for the kind welcome.

(...and simply Guy will do).
Quote:Thanks for the kind welcome.

(...and simply Guy will do).

Simply Guy... sounds like an Israeli archaeological fragrance ;-)

For those who need to see it, attached is Masada on Google Earth (although tilting it makes me think there's something awry with Google's terrain data here as it looks decidedly flat). You can clearly see the circumvallation, siege ramp, and the Roman camps.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thank you very much for the info, I have always been very interested in Masada and its history, and will be looking forward to any new information which comes up!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
mcbishop\\n[quote] like an Israeli archaeological fragrance

Mike, I would not dare to smell myself during the excavations at Masada, particularly in the heat of the summer... Smile
Guy,

do you perhaps happen to know whether there were finds of textiles, leather and other organic materials (I would presume so) and where those were published? I'm always on the lookout for information on shoes and bags/pouches/purses especially.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman soldier’s ancient Masada payslip shows unfair wages go way back kavan 2 665 03-22-2021, 12:39 AM
Last Post: JoeSmoe69
  New legionary camp on the Lower Rhine ??? Simplex 7 5,698 06-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Glenmailen Roman Marching Camp Site, NE Scotland Roman Military History is 4 Me 1 1,533 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me