Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Units names under Justinian I
Hi

I have assembled following name for regions:

Italy:

• Regii (infantry unit present in 536 in the defense of Rome).
• Primi Theodosiani (auxilium).
• Perso-Iustiniani (cavalry unit of foederati or comitatenses, Grado, north of Italy).
• Felices Perso-Armenii (cavalry unit).

Constantinople:

• Lanciarii (registred in 518).
• Toxoto-Dalmatae (archery unit of praesentalis registred in 541).
• Excubitores.
• Primoscutarii.
• Spatharii.

Syria and Palestine:

• Theodosiaci balistarii.
• Tertio Dalmatae (cavalry unit of comitatenses).
• Vandali Iustiniani (cavalry units of foederati or comitatenses).
• Likokranitai (unit of limitanei created in 530).
• Quarta Parthica (infantry unit, legion).

Egypt:

• Leones Clibanarii.
• Transtigritani.
• Quinta Macedonica (infantry unit, legion).
• Daci.
• Numidae Iustiniani.
• Primi Felices Iustiniani.
• Macedoni.
• Scythae Iustiniani.

North Africa:

Does someone know more names?
I am very interested in the evolution of the roman army from Gallienus to Heraclius (c. 260-640)
Brilliant, Marco!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Many thanks, Robert.

And other unit, the Hispani, in Crimea.

Do you know more units names?
I am very interested in the evolution of the roman army from Gallienus to Heraclius (c. 260-640)
To review Justinians army one also has to take into account the troops mentioned before and after him.
For the moment I would add two examples of Lydus (after 552) and Zosimus (around 500?):
Zosimus Book 3, concerning the recruitment Julian made in Gaul:
Quote:Caesar, after he had thus settled affairs, added the Salii, the Quadi, and many of the inhabitants of Batavia to his legions, of whose discipline we still make use.
Zosimus must have had some troop names of his time on his mind, for example Salii (and Tubantes?), Batavi.

Lydus De Magistratibus I, 46 mentions bracchiati or armilligeri. Maybe he thinks of the Bracchiati, together with the Cornuti one of the once most famous Auxilia palatina.
Jens Wucherpfennig
You already mentioned the Leones clibanarii in Egypt, they also go by the name of leontoclibanarii.

There's (up to 491 at least) a numerus Isaurorum in Alexandria.

There's also a numerus Theodosiacorum in Palestine, 512.

The Libyi Justiniani are known from a mosaic in Qsar Lybia, after the reconquest of Vandal Africa.

You already mentioned the primus Th(e)odosianorum numerus, attested for Italy - it's mentioned on a funeral monument in Florence in 547.

The 7 scholae units also still exist (Theophanes reports in 562 their move to the heraclea area), although no longer as palace guards, which' role is then filled by the excubitores.

There's a numerus Cadisianus stationed at Grado in 580, which may have been recruited from the people of the Cadiseni, before they came under Persian rule in Justinian's time.

Also at Grado in 571-9 were the Equites Persoiustiniani and at Ravenna the Felices Persoarmenii, in 591. I think you mentioned them already. They may or may not be related to a numerus Persoiustinianorum that's also mentioned on a mosaic in Grado.

There's also the numerus Felicum Theodosiacus (Ravenna, c. 600), but that could have been created by Maurikios' son Theodosius.
This may be the same as the numerus Theodosiacus, Rome 592.

There's the numerus Dacorum in the early 7th c.

There's a numerus Sermisianus in Italy during the early 7th c. , possibly going back on troops defending Sirmium before the 6th c.

A numerus Armeniorum may be later, or may be derived from the [vexillatio palatina comites sagittariii Armeni[/i] (ND Or. 6.31).

There's a numerus invictorum in the exarchate of Ravenna, which may even be the same as the bandus invictus that's mentioned in 710-11. This may go back on the Invicti Iuniores, an auxilium palatinum based in Illyria (ND Or. 9.28 ).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Augmenting my post above, apart from the scholae that I already mentioned, there were of course more elite and palace units.

Leo had created the Excubitores, the true palace guard (see my article on this forum), but there were also the Domestikoi Protiktores, who may have been Justinian's bodyguard.

Also not to be forgotten are the buccellarii, the household guard or private army, core of Belisarius' army. these men will have been better trained, armed and armoured than their regular counterparts.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:.

Also not to be forgotten are the buccellarii, the household guard or private army, core of Belisarius' army. these men will have been better trained, armed and armoured than their regular counterparts.

Hi Robert,

aaah yesss... Foederati and rabble like that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Helge (in roaring laughter)

p.s. Sorry, I could not get around that....
If you run away from an archer...
Jens, many thanks.

Robert, simply spectacular.

The Numerus Felicium Theodosiacus are illustrated by Angus McBride in Romano-Byzantine Armies 4th-9th Centuries.
[/quote]

Equites Promoti Illyriciani. 35.952153°, 39.022064°

Equites PERSO-JUSTINIAN, EQUITES III (TERTIO) DALMATAE, BIS ELCETI JUSTIMIANI, PARAETONITAE JUSTINIANI, DACI 29.325887, 30.841894, REGII, I THEODOSIANI,
Well, that's quite an impressive thread necromancy! Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hello to all!

Many years ago I wrote an article on exactly this topic for Slingshot magazine. I'll try to insert a link to it for all interested. Hope it works.

All the Best,
Dimitris Christodoulou

Byzantine complexities article as a pdf file
(01-06-2007, 08:30 PM)comitatus (Marco) Wrote: Hi
I have assembled following name for regions:
Italy:
• Regii (infantry unit present in 536 in the defense of Rome).
• Primi Theodosiani (auxilium).
• Perso-Iustiniani (cavalry unit of foederati or comitatenses, Grado, north of Italy).
• Felices Perso-Armenii (cavalry unit).
Constantinople:
• Lanciarii (registred in 518).
• Toxoto-Dalmatae (archery unit of  praesentalis registred in 541).
• Excubitores.
• Primoscutarii.
• Spatharii.
Syria and Palestine:
• Theodosiaci balistarii.
• Tertio Dalmatae (cavalry unit of comitatenses).
• Vandali Iustiniani (cavalry units of foederati or comitatenses).
• Likokranitai (unit of limitanei created in 530).
• Quarta Parthica (infantry unit, legion).
Egypt:
• Leones Clibanarii.
• Transtigritani.
• Quinta Macedonica (infantry unit, legion).
• Daci.
• Numidae Iustiniani.
• Macedoni.
• Scythae Iustiniani.
North Africa:

ARMENII

One of the regiments used by Belisarius to retake Italy under Justinian I (527-565).pseudocomitatenses

ARMENII One of the regiments used by Belisarius to retake Italy under Justinian I (527-565).pseudocomitatenses
Bis Elceti Justiniani
Daci
Felicies Persoarmini
Felicies Theodsiani
Libyes Justiniani
Paraetonite Justiniani
Persoarmeni
Skythae Justiniani

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latin names for late Roman field army units Gäiten 13 4,370 09-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Gäiten
  Names and shield emblems of Auxillia units. Titus Petronicus Graccus 11 3,331 09-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Last Post: sonic
  Heraclius army organization and units names comitatus (Marco) 3 1,840 03-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat