Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
300 opens March 9 in U.S.
yes thats about right! :evil: :evil: they snapped up the rights to Gates of Fire, then sqabbled over every detail for so long that the genre has been flooded with all these other movies, of perhaps dubious quality.... :roll:
Well, lets hope it is at least entertaining! :x
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I look forward too it. It does not attempt to be accurate so if it isn't it won't bother me. It seems like it's going to be cool. Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Exactly. Looks cool, it's NOT about being accurate, just a gorgeously styled comic book adaptation. If you watch the trailers, it becomes pretty clear it's more in the realm of fantasy than anything else, with a sort of ancient-greekish theme, more a dark myth retelling than anything else. I hope nobody goes to it and takes it too seriously and complains about how it looks! :lol:
-Christy Beall
Quote:Exactly. Looks cool, it's NOT about being accurate, just a gorgeously styled comic book adaptation. If you watch the trailers, it becomes pretty clear it's more in the realm of fantasy than anything else, with a sort of ancient-greekish theme, more a dark myth retelling than anything else. I hope nobody goes to it and takes it too seriously and complains about how it looks! :lol:

Yes it does look cool and will probable be an amusing afternoon at the cinema. Most people who know anything at all about ancient history will quickly realize that this is just a highly stylized comic book film.

However...

What is more likely to happen: people leaving the theatre certain that they now know all about the Spartans (fought bare chested) Xerxes (a pierced punk-rock superstar) and the Battle of Thermopylae ("Wow the ancients used Rhinos as tanks--cool.").

The power of cinema is amazing and should never be underestimated.

After all:

Spartacus was a noble rebel who never did anything despicable like crucifying Roman captives.

Henry V was magnanimous in victory as at Agincourt. He would never have his solders kill all of the French captives out of hand (or at least the ones who would not fetch a rich ransom).

Ancient Rome was a city of stark white marble and men wearing white togas. The ancients seemed to have no sense of color.

The Emperor Commodus was killed in the arena by an ex-general.

Dinosaurs and humans DID live on Earth at the same time. (And the pre-historic humans looked amazingly like the current residents of Malibu.)

Darth Vader is Luke's father.

We know all this to be true, because the movies told us so. :wink:

But I do take your point Satsobek, and I agree with you that this film does have a great look to it. I'm going see it.

We can hope that, like Gladiator, The 300 might inspire a new generation of students to find out more about what really happened in Ancient Greece. The commentary by Dr. Hanson (in another thread on this site) does give me pause and some concern about just how this film might be "used" but it is also possible that this film will go largely unnoticed by the general public, lacking as it does any "big" Hollywood Stars.

As always, time will tell.

:wink: :? wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
WAAAANNNHHHHH....Cry

It's not historically accurate!!! <stamps feet on ground>

Give it up for the love of god. For once a movie comes out and blatantly says "We're not an historical film" and some of you purists are still moaning and groaning.

If I had a dead salmon and was withing striking distance of some of you people, you'd be wearing rotting fish guts on your faces!

LOL

Legion: TBD
Quote:WAAAANNNHHHHH....Cry

If I had a dead salmon and was withing striking distance of some of you people, you'd be wearing rotting fish guts on your faces!

LOL

You know, there are a lot of people in LA paying good money for sashimi -- Magnus, you could make a fortune.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
NEW TRAILER!!!!!!! Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gfZnWVoqZ8
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Damn that is AWESOME!!!

Legion: TBD
Neat trailer. I didn't know that Thermopylae was really 300 Spartans fighting to close a portal to Middle Earth, though... :roll:
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Dan its a comic book! Thats like complaining that Capt Kirks pants are incorrect for the frame. :wink:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:Dan its a comic book! Thats like complaining that Capt Kirks pants are incorrect for the frame. :wink:

Kirk was wearing the wrong pants? Confusedhock: :?: :?

Which episode was that?

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Neat trailer. I didn't know that Thermopylae was really 300 Spartans fighting to close a portal to Middle Earth, though... :roll:

It could be close to a portal to Narnia too! LOL

Tongue
Sean Marcum

Roma Victrix!