Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Corinthian Helm as a phallic symbol?
First...I am being completely serious here. The corinthian styles of helmets to me have a striking resemblance to the tip of the male genitals. Did the greeks do this on purpose, as a symbol of manhood/fertility, or is this just something I've thought about too much?

But if you look at the helmet regardless of the angle, the dome shape on the top and immediately under that, it really resembles a phallic shape.

Anyone read anything to this effect?

Legion: TBD
Ancient peoples were not so "squeamish" about these issues or about expressions concerning them as we are. So yes, you have a point.
If you check the thread "ancouth soldiers inscriptions" you will find me explanation on the true meaning of MOLON LAVE.
Ancient Greeks had no problem with relating aggressiveness and testosteron.
The translation of ancient texts has been "watered down" in the Victorian Era and people stil follow these translations.
If you translate literally to get the "real feeling" you run a good chance of getting sued for offending people.
Hope it helps
So am I right about the helmet being somewhat phallic shaped?

This really gives a new meaning to the saying "dickhead" :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Funny, Magnus, this is something I've failed to note. Your post does make sense to me and in case you'd like to write an article about this the scholars would for sure receive it with open arms. And yes, I'm being serious here!
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
I don't know if I want to be known as the guy who did a study on penises and greek helmets. Confusedhock:

In all honesty I wouldn't know how to start such a paper anyway!

Quote:I don't know if I want to be known as the guy who did a study on penises and greek helmets. Confusedhock:

In all honesty I wouldn't know how to start such a paper anyway!

Despite the fact that Greek were not squeamish about genitalia and sexuality, I think you are reading into this a bit too much. Many helmets look like the glans if you consider it closely enough; but swords and spears are also very phallic if you consider them closely (a long, manly object penetrating the skin?). I don't mean to suggest that this is some Freudian compulsion on your part, but I don't think that Greek men would have given the shapes of their helmets that much thought.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
No other helmet style that I've come across in any culture or era, or weapon unless quite deliberate, even remotely looks phallic. The corinthian does...look at it from the side as well as front, then look at a penis from the side and front. It's too coinicidental I think to be simply chance. They could have easily made that ridge on the corinthian style of helmet a different shape, but it's not. Short of doing a line drawing of a penis side by side with a corinthian, I don't know how else to make my point...errrr...you know what i mean. lol

But I would like to know then just how much the greeks put into phallic symbols and the like...especially concerning warfare. If you think about it, the penis is the ultimate symbol of manhood. Warfare could be considered the ulitmate test of this manhood. Doesn't seem like a far stretch to me to put the 2 together.

When I get home I can get the exact reference for you, but Angelos Chaniotis, in War in the Hellenistic World notes sling bullets from Cyprus inscribed with the Greek for "get pregnant (with this)."

And, seriously, what does the addition of a horsehair crest or two, or a pair of cow horns on the top of the helmet, do for you?

What about the more rounded varieties of the Pilos-type?
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Too pointy. Look at the curvature on the corinthian...it's a much better match.

Those sling bullets remind of me of naval and air force personel writing messages to Saddam in the First Gulf War on aircraft munitions that were going to be dropped over Iraq. I see boys and their toys haven't changed much lol.

Quote:then look at a penis from the side and front.
I'm quite certain there'll be a new member within a day or two, providing a handy link to just such a thing in the Marketplace's Off-Topic subforum :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
LOL

Hey Jim, maybe you can do one of your handy line drawings of a corinthian superimposed over the real thing to illustrate my point eh?

I'm not looking for one of them photos.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes Matt you have a point.
In Desfina Museum (rather obscure and unknown as museums go) in Central Greece there is a spear fragment with the inscription "KATHES", TH as in Thursday.
Translates as "sit upon it!". Yes the "dirty" thoughts you did are justified :twisted:

Kind regards
Quote:Translates as "sit upon it!".

:lol:
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a Corinthian Helm? SapereAude 83 21,640 12-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Last Post: PMBardunias
  Corinthian helm with ears? Tarbicus 11 2,981 01-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr