Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
illustrations for women\'s clothing?
I've read over the descriptions of women's clothing on the Legio XX site a few times, and they're good, but I'd feel more comfortable making something for my wife if I had illustrations to go with the descriptions. To keep the period consistent, whatever I'd make for her should look right with my gear, which includes segmentata armor, so we look like a couple rather than people from different centuries.

Does anyone have helpful illustrations handy? Or photographs to show what the finished goods should look like? (No need to trouble with drawing stuff just to answer my question -- I'm just hoping someone's already done that.)

Another question along the same lines: What does one do to avoid ugly seams in clavi? I don't see a lot of really wide fabric in stores, and buying a huge length of fabric just to get a narrow seamless piece seems wasteful. If the clavi have a seam halfway between the hem and shoulder will they still look decent, or will the seam throw off the way the fabric hangs? Is it better to sew clavi in between panels of fabric, or to sew it onto the surface of solid panels? (In the text illustration below, hyphens represent clavi fabric, presumably of a contrasting color.)

Is this better: _____--_____ Or is this: _____--_____ ?
moved to Civilian reenactment

some possible online sources to get you started are:

www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/clothing2.html

www.stoa.org/diotima/

www.roman-empire.net/society/soc-dress.html

www.unrv.com/culture/ancient-roman-clothing.php

www.crystalinks.com/romeclothing.html

I can also give you a list of Roman costume books if you need it.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
There are several book sources. Some of the diagrams from the Legio XX site come from "the World of Roman Costume" by Larissa Bonafante and Judith Sebesta. One of the contributors, Dr. Norma Goldman, did a video called "Let's Wrap" demonstrating how to put together and dress. I think this latter is available through the Junior Classical League.
Also valuable (and seems to have disappeared from my bookshelf) is A Croom's "Roman Clothing and Fashion"
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Thanks for the links. Those will keep me busy for a while.

What about the clavi? Sewn in between panels of the main fabric or onto the surface? And how does one hide the seam if the clavi aren't as long as the full garment? (I know, most accurate is to weave it into the fabric, but I don't have a loom.)
Thanks for sharing these links its really help me, I am looking for this for long time.
Try to get a copy of La femme romaine : Au début de l'Empire by Danielle Chastenet and François Gilbert. Fantastic photographs and clothing reconstructions.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Women\'s clothing Lepidina 6 1,824 05-27-2005, 07:12 AM
Last Post: Viventius