Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Julian and the invasion of Persia
Does anyone know where I can go (besides here of course!) to find a modern and lucid account of Julian's eastern campaign? Ammianus Marcellinus is very good, but I wondered if there was a modern historial assessment of the war that traced the expedition's route. All the Julian biographies I find all seem to detail his religious life.
:roll:
Any ideas?
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
I was impressed by the discussion in Henlon's Soldiers and Ghosts.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
There is an excellent chapter on Julian as a military commander in [i]'In the Name of Rome: The Men who won the Roman Empire' by A. Goldsworthy. Julian seems to be neglected as a military commander with most attention focusing upon his religious beliefs.
Hi,
I've come across these MA theses:

Ammianus Marcellinus and Procopius of Caesarea: The Eastern Campaigns of Julian and Justinian, 4th and 6th Centuries

Ammianus Marcellinus as a Guide to the Strategies of Julians Gallic Campaign, 356-361

I haven't read them, but perhaps they can be useful for you.

Greetings
Alexandr
Ooh, ooh! Online theses! Excellent. I'll check out the other book recommendations, too. Thanks!

Quote:Hi,
I've come across these MA theses:
Greetings
Alexandr
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:I've come across these MA theses
Thanks Alexandr, a good tip! I've cleaned up the link a bit for you. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks Robert, I wondered how to make it work properly. Now I know I should have linked it directly to the pdf files.

BTW, I've found those works here. There are other interesting theses (not only) about the Roman army, just search :wink:
Greetings
Alexandr
Mmm, just found:

Theodosius and the Goths: The Limits of Roman Power
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
MMhhh....

The End of Roman Spain - Michael Kulikowski

Cultural identity in Roman Africa : the La Ghorfa stelae - Moore, Jennifer

Historical writing in Visigothic Spain from c. 468 to the Arab invasion of 711 - Jordan, Elizabeth Alexandra

Attitudes to astrology in early Christianity - Hegedus, Timothy Michael Joseph
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Amazing what you can find Robert ... Big Grin
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
A Reconsideration of the Iconography of the Triumphal Reliefs of Shapur I

Imperial Representation Under Diocletian and the Tetrarchy

Marriage and alliance in the Merovingian Kingdoms, 481-639
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Well, my favourite one Smile

The Praetorian Guard in the Political and Social Life of Julio-Claudian Rome

And then

The Regionalization of Equestrians and Centurions in the Roman Army

The Emperor, the Army and the Coinage

The Glorious Life of Agricola: A Critical Analysis of the Literary Form and Political Content of Tacitus' Agricola

Greetings
Alexandr
On this subject again (and quite crucial for my current project), has there been any attempt to create a possible list of Eastern legions that participated in the campaign? Reading Ammianus I find the Joviani, the Herculiani, the Jovii and the Victorres ... are there any experts in deciephering the Notitia who are willing to take a guess???!!! Smile
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
That intersts me too!

As first view:

I ARMENIACA Claudiopolis (Cappadocia - Armenia II), till 359 AD.
In 363 is with Iulianus in Persia.

LEGIO I PARTHICA
after the fall of Singara come back to Nisibis and reformed is with Iulianus in Persia

La LEGIO III PARTHICA
Apatna, Mesopotamia, is with Iulianus in Persia

From Ammianus' Res Gestae:

Are with Iulianus in Persia:

Iovii and Victores XXIV 4,20,24

Tertiaci XXV 1,7

Zianni XXV 1,19

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
What do you think of the major troop movements, Daniele? Obviously much of the limitanei were garrisoning cities in the Eastern provinces (Syria, Osdrohene, Mesopotamia etc) and would most likely wait in place for the expedition to reach their neighbourhood before joing it.

We know that Julian took Western legions with him. The Western Gallic army? All of it? Most of it? And the Eastern field army - I would presume that this bore the bulk of the Persian expedition since it required far less transport and relocation. Add to that the legions praesentalis accompanying the emperor (which Ammianus was presumably part of).

Although I believe the secondary force stood at 30,000 men and the main force stood at a little more than that (guess = 40-50,000 men??). Just on legions at full strength (maybe 1000 men) that adds up to well over 50 legions. Alternatively one could ask "what was left behind?" Confusedhock:
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary