Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiatorial marble reliefs recovered
Hi Hephestus

I would appreciate clarification on the Aequimanus and your reasoning behind seeing this, not as a Hoplomachus, but as a type of Thracian.

You also suggest a straight sica ?

Can you direct me to your sources please ?

Regards

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:Hi Hephestus

I would appreciate clarification on the Aequimanus and your reasoning behind seeing this, not as a Hoplomachus, but as a type of Thracian.

You also suggest a straight sica ?

Can you direct me to your sources please ?

Regards

Conal
Though I cant speak Itallian, I also tried to make sense of the arsdimicandi article.
I think (and I get this impression from the additional pics linked in the article) that arsdimicandi considers the term Hoplomachus as the greek version of Murmillo, so basicaly Murmillo and Hoplomachus are the same gladiators.
If you have read Junkelmann you will know that this has been a debate for a long time.
Those that consider Murmillo and Hoplomachus as two terms for the same galdiator (large Scutum,one short Ocrea on the left leg left, gladius, then consoider the Galdiator with round parmula, hasta and sword as a variant of the usual thraex.
Arsdimicandi seems to also call "our" Hoplomachus Aequimanus(ambidextrous) because of the hasta right, gladius (straight sica?) left combination.

Maybe Hephestus can confirm this.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Just found this interview onlinen about this gladiator relief:

http://www.archaeology.org/online/interviews/rizzo.html
Any recent news about this relief . So, some months after is it actually a Fake ?

Best regards

Sextus Aurelius Propertius

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Times today- 12 Gladiator reliefs from 1st C BC recovered Caballo 8 3,315 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS