Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
auxillia, missile troops
Any good articles about how the Romans made use of their slingers or archers?

A person I know postulated that they were stationed behind the legions and fired overhead.

also any idea on the range of slings & bows?

I did my best to search for previous theads but all I found was stuff on Hamian archers. . . Sad

I am looking specifically for information on Roman Auxillia in later republic/ early imperial period. But wouldn't mind reading about Eastern bow-use.

Thanks for whatever you can send me.

Matt Webster
Any articles
"Hige sceal pe heardra, heorte pe cenre, mod sceal pe mare pe ure maegen lytlao"

"Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, and spirit the greater as our strength lessens."

Matthew Webster
Quote:A person I know postulated that they were stationed behind the legions and fired overhead.

That's how I see them used in Late Roman times, yes, but I guess that wasn't common practise throughout all of Rome's military history.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
While we're on the subject of auxiliary troops, I was wondering about something. I remember reading that slingers came from the Balaeric Isles and archers from Crete. At least I remember reading this in school.
I was wondering if this was a permanent institution? I mean were slingers not recruited from any other geographical location?
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad
Good info on slings and slinging at www.slinging.org , not so much historical only as practical and useful for reconstructing/learning how to sling.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I mainly know articles from the Jahrbuch about thsitopic all in german. The lists below are from these, No. 1. from the funditores article, No.2-3 from the thrid article.

Völling, Thomas
Funditores im römischen Heer.
SJ 45, 1990, S. 24-58

Baatz, Dietwulf
Schleudergeschosse aus Blei - eine waffentechnische Untersuchung.
SJ 45, 1990, S. 59-67

Zanier, Werner
Römische dreiflügelige Pfeilspitzen.
SJ 44, 1988, S. 5-27

Archers firing over the heads of auxiliary infantry and legionaries can also be fond during the battle of Idistavisio 16 AD, or in Arrians battle order against the Alans. It seems to be the best way to protect them against beeing attacked by cavalry or heavy infantry during pitched battles.
From waht I know the combat range of a composite bow is around 150-175m, for slings around 200m and more.

Quote:While we're on the subject of auxiliary troops, I was wondering about something. I remember reading that slingers came from the Balaeric Isles and archers from Crete. At least I remember reading this in school.
I was wondering if this was a permanent institution? I mean were slingers not recruited from any other geographical location?

That slingers generally were from the baleares and archers from creta can only be said for the republican period, and even then it's a simplified view.
In the lists below also mention the orgin and location of each units. I don't think they are complete (polybius is ignored for example), especially since this articles are quite old now.

List One:
Ancient sources mentioning slingers in the roman army:

[Image: fundlit1pg9.th.jpg]
[Image: fundlit2ge1.th.jpg]
Michael
List Two:
Ancient sources mentioning archers in the roman army:

[Image: saglit1rl9.th.jpg]
[Image: saglit2xt2.th.jpg]
Michael
List Three:
Attested archer units of the imperial roman army in the 1st-3rd century AD:

[Image: sagun1er7.th.jpg]
[Image: sagu2gs5.th.jpg]

Map with the position of roman arecher and horse archer units in the 1st-3rd century AD.
[Image: sagumapnz9.th.jpg]
Michael
Michael and David, thank you for your efforts, I did learn something new although I wish I knew German! I am having real trouble opening David's website though. I'll just keep trying
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad
You're right. I couldn't make it work either,but try typing in WWW.SLINGING dot ORG and it works. Go figger. Upper or lower case seem to work fine.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:You're right. I couldn't make it work either.
You hada rogue dot at the end of your URL Demetrius!
** Vincula/Lucy **
Thanks for the help and useful links.

I appreciate it.

Matt Webster
"Hige sceal pe heardra, heorte pe cenre, mod sceal pe mare pe ure maegen lytlao"

"Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, and spirit the greater as our strength lessens."

Matthew Webster
I've been slinging for several years.

I can get a range of around 100m with a nice stone at maximum power. The target area is quite large, though.

More accurate slings I can achieve out to 40m.

But of course with slinging you start at 00% skill and build up very very slowly over years. I'm sure a good slinger could put a lead bullet out to 150m with alot more accuracy than I.

In the Late Empire, one eastern legion was called the 'Slingers', though it is debatable whether those 500 men were actually slingers, or were originally slingers (in the distant past - perhaps an auxliary unit retrained and rearmed as infanry during the 300 reorganization). Fascinating. Smile
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Volley Fire by Ancient Missile Troops Eleatic Guest 19 6,681 04-20-2015, 05:38 AM
Last Post: richard robinson
  Light Armed Troops vs Auxillia jkaler48 4 1,890 01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Peroni