Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference between helmets
Ave
I have always wondered if there were any marked differences between helmets worn by hoplites in Athens, Sparta, Corinth and Thebes and if so, what were they?
Thanks in advance
P.S a few illustrations would be helpful
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad
As we approach 1000 B.C. two types of helmets dominate.
The "proto-corinthian" and the "illyric"
See Johnny's hoplite ilustration in this section for the "illyric".
They seem to be almost universal because they apear in many locations in the art of the time.
As we go to archaic period a finer version of the "corinthian" dominates but given that each warrior provided his own arms and that arms were handed down from generation to generation you cannot rule out older types.
The "attic" type of helmet is called like that because it appears in art of Athens but again Athens being maritime-trader state this item could be circulting arround the Aegean.
The "chalcidic" helmet called like that because first specimens found in Chalkis is contemporary and it continues till Hellenistic times.
The "Beotian" called like that because it appeared in Beotian grave stele was popular in many city states in the late classical period.
Specimen from 10 different localities exist in the Greek museums.
There is a tendency to assume that all Athenians wore "attic" or that all Thebans wore "beotian" bur this cannot be 100% certain.
Hoplites were mainly identified from their shield devices rather than armor. Hope it helps
Kind regards
Yes, very nicely thank you Stefanos
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad
Quote:The "chalcidic" helmet called like that because first specimens found in Chalkis is contemporary and it continues till Hellenistic times.
I believe it's actually called as such because it appears on Chalcidian-type pottery.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
That is also part of the answer Dan but Chalcidic pottery shows corinthians too. The oldest specimen in NationalMuseum in Athens was excavated in 1889 and comes from Chalkis
Kind regards
If we are to use pottery remains it seems that any helmet was better than none. The Attic pottery shows all types of helmets in use, so i think it would be safe to assume that Athenean hoplites wore all the types. I think we must also remember that an helmet was (and still is) an expensive peice of equipment and the victors of battles would have collected all the useable equipment left by the defeated side and put it to use in their own army.
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Jason,
I agree with you but the "collection" you describe has been the attitute of every army from the Dawn of Time and the Greeks were no exception.
Kind regards
Unusual "Illyrics" rom Olympia Museum:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178 ... lyric1.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178 ... lyric2.jpg
Kind regards