Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reenactment suppliers
I dont want to be controversial since I am a new member [ although I have been in reenactment for over 20 years ,albeit other periods].
I find it extremely frustrating that I email suppliers time and time again and get no response.And yet so often I hear traders at events complaining that we do not use their services and buy" cheap imports" [their words].
Perhaps if some traders realised that we are customers and as such need to be looked after, and realised that many of their problems are of their own making.
Sorry to rant but I do find this aspect of my hobby frustrating in the extreme.It should not be "rocket science", I have money to spend, they have goods to sell. What is the problem?
Mick Saunders
Welcome to Roman re-enactment, Frater.

There are a great many suppliers who offer superb customer service, there are also a great many suppliers who do this as a sideline to their day jobs and while they provide superb products, are "communicationally challenged."

I am also a newbie to Roman re-enactment, and I expressed the same frustrations to my more experienced comrades as I got started. They commiserated, but told me to "be patient."

Since then, I have come to realize that nothing happens fast in this hobby unless you are making it yourself. Even then, speed is relative. 8)

I know this is cold comfort, but "be patient." :wink:

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
And as a supplier it frustrates me when I can't get stuff to folks in a timely manner.

Two general categories, as a merchant, frustrate me the most:

1) truly lost merchandise; damaged in transit merchandise; merchandise that was delivered but was porch dropped but claimed not to have been dellivered; merchandise held up in foreign Customs

2) finished merchandise from my own manufacturer that doesn't get made or delivered to me on time and components from other suppliers that don't get delivered to me in a timely manner such as the 50 pounds of rivets on back order!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Mick, I agree with you. Some are "businessmen" while others just "give you the business,man".
It's sometimes a learning experience.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
The waiting is the hardest part.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
link from old RAT

I actually think things are improving, believe it or not, at least on the communications part.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
There are also the vendors/merchants that show up now and then who'll buy the not-so-good gear and try to sell it off to uninformed Joe Public (and vendor may not be aware of the poor accuracy/quality themsevles, or not care), or they may be stuck with crummy/older version gear, and have to try and get rid of it, may be trying to make room to get new/better gear...But also because other vendors may not want to buy the older/crummy stuff from them either.

Just keep your head up and on the lookout for deals...Consider getting less-than-good-stuff that is modifyable that you can make better/more accurate.

Otherwise hang in there...Better stuff is coming out now!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Mick, I have experienced same problems, especially with gear made to measure! I can warmly recommend ARMAE.COM. This is a vendor who knows his gear, I have always got very quick answers to my inquiries too. On top of this all we RATters get a 20% discount on roman & greek gear :lol:

Of course they only offer mainly Deepeeka products for now...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]