Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HBO Rome-Blog on Legio VI website
I noticed in the scene where Posca is telling Maecenas about Anthony's
"gift" from Herod the slave is plucking the hair out of Maecenas' legs.
I kind of enjoy the little things you might not notice that they sometimes throw in. For all the things they seem to get wrong occasionally they surprise you.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Good point Andy!

They do get some of the "little things" right which adds to the over all feel or atmosphere of the series. (I liked Cicero's garden and the game they were playing.)

All in all this series can be a mixed bag as it were, however, as was mentioned before, even poor Rome is better than no Rome. Complain about it though I might, I will probably still miss it when the series is over...

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Narukami\\n[quote]
All in all this series can be a mixed bag as it were, however, as was mentioned before, even poor Rome is better than no Rome. Complain about it though I might, I will probably still miss it when the series is over...

My sentiments exactly!
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
Thank you Andy, though I must admit that last night's episode pushed me to the limit.

Octavian was a sadist?

Did I miss something somewhere in some history about Augustus?

Liva has only one child -- Tiberius? What about Drusus, father of the future emperor Claudius?

And where are Octavian's first two wives? (To say nothing of Julia.)

Confusedhock: :? shock: :? (

I know, I know...it's just HBO and as in all of their other shows they feel the need to "spice it up" a bit, but really...

One would have thought that of all the histories one could look at, that of the ancient Romans would be the one least in need of any additional spice. Their history is plenty hot already thank you very much.

Only two more episodes left -- will we make it to Actium?

"Warp speed Mr. Scott."

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:I have 5 parts of season 2, dunno if its already playing on HBO, but I have them dunno ask me how I have them. hehehe!

You are 3 parts behind, dude...
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
OK, after a bried delay occasioned by a screening of "300" Sunday night, my blog review on Episode VIII is up. Enjoy (hopefully)!
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
I have to say I sneaked ahead to see the synopses(?) of the last 2 episodes. It will be an interesting, if slightly abbreviated, end to a good series. Both have Latin titles.
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
From this week's RomeBlog:

"A spotty episode, marred by several awkwardly staged scenes, particularly the whole Alexandria visit by Atia and Octavia. A real problem with the series continues to be the characterization of Cleopatra as a kind of spike-haired, punk rock waif. There is nothing queenly, attractive or even very interesting about this spoiled little druggy, and you can't imagine why Antony seems to find her so fascinating. The Cleopatra episode was probably the worst one of Season I, and this one is the worst so far of Season II, IMHO. I want my Cleopatra to be enchanting, seductive, brilliant, calculating, stimulating, the way the real one must have been!"
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
You can overlook a lot in a woman who is queen of the richest country in the world. He's have married her if she was in the lion-face stage of leprosy.
Pecunia non olet
Poor Pullo, Having to worry about Caesarian's life when he still thinks HE could be the father. I rather enjoyed this episode personnally. The death bed confession leading to an even swifter death. Dumped into the Tiber. If I had a war to fight I'd want Titus Pullo on my side. He's a real berserker.
I was a bit worried about the lives of Octavia and Atia. Since accuracy is not an issue here, they don't know how close to death they came.

I expect the finale to be a rousing one.
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
I've enjoyed them all. It's great television, isn't it?

rkmvca/rich klein
Saw the final episode last night and have to say that it was both disappointing and enjoyable. The final battle was just a quick glimpse in the background, no fighting nor tactics. I was hoping for so much more, but the rest of the episode was pretty good.

I was surprised by the actor that played Antony, he did a good job in portraying his anguish. Didn’t care for what happened with Verenus (Don’t want to give it away for those that didn’t see it), but if you actually think about what you saw and not what is implied, then you can hope, like I am, that they might put together another episode or two, possible a mini series like Rome was originally meant to be, with these characters.

Overall it was a good episode, looking forwards to seeing it repeated on Wednesday and on DVD.
Steve
I have mixed emotions on this one, too. Good wrap-up of everything over the last 3 episodes. I did expect a little more action on the finale but the whole series was actually about the 2 friends and their adventures, right ?
All-in-all a very good series and I miss it already.
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IMPERIUM ROMANUM - Polish website about ancient Rome that wants to become English imperiumromanum_edu 0 893 07-24-2018, 09:22 PM
Last Post: imperiumromanum_edu
  New articles on the RMRS Legio XIIII website! Caballo 1 1,538 06-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Peroni