Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crescent folds on side of tunic
We have previously discussed the crescent shaped folds on the front of tunics. I recently found this frieze which has a butcher with crescent folds on the sides. What the heck is this? How can you get these folds in the front and on the sides? Just when I think I understand something, I don't.

I found this in a kids book: "Ancient Roman Art" by Susie Hodge 1998 1-57572-552-5.

http://us.share.geocities.com/fm253737/Butcher.jpg
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
It might be the excess material after the tunic is hitched up, pushed and folded back down under the belt.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The most notable are the Rhineland grave steles that depict a very graceful pleating.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Quote:The most notable are the Rhineland grave steles that depict a very graceful pleating.
Don't those just show on the front? Are there any other examples of these on the sides?
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

I really don't think it's deliberate pleating as seen on the Rhineland tombstones, but either surplus material from the lower part of the tunic, after it's been pulled up, or just natural folds.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I was wondering if because it's standard for front views whether the artist went ahead and put them in on a side view as an matter of style even though they wouldn't normally be seen on the side.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

But he's not a soldier, he's a butcher. I just think it's folds on the side of the tunic. Even if it were a bit cubist showing the front on the side there's only one crescent, which is normal for any tunic.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The best side view I know of showing the folds on a draped tunic are those of the gladiator being attacked by a lion . A sculpture now in Musee Denon, Chalon-sur Saone. See P.102 PLATE 125 Weapons of the Romans. M. Feugere. Tempus edition 2002.

The butchers tunic is not the same style at all. It is more like the Trajanic style of military tunic shown on the column and the side folds are possibly caused by gathering the material into a knot behind the neck.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.