Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catapult stone balls size?
Help.Help. In brief I need help regarding stone balls size. Have few of them in castrum SIng, just on skethes. Going to search for them in future, and if I find them will post pics.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Hi Stefan,
Ballista balls were classed according to their weights. Therefore, If you find them, you'll need to record diameter and weight. According to ancient writers, they can range from tiny orange-sized 2 mina (873.2 grams) to the huge 3 talents (78,588 grams).
Good luck (We'll keep our fingers crossed)! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Look out for "round-ness", Stefan.
A bona fide ballista ball would need to roll along the chelonion (or grooved channel). I'm convinced that many so-called ballista balls lacking a circular profile were actually roughly-worked stones for throwing by hand.

Our colleague Dietwulf Baatz is also extremely skeptical of the smaller sizes, pointing out that the effect of shooting a 2-mina stone would hardly repay the effort and expense of building a suitable machine. (The sledgehammer-and-nut syndrome.)
(I'm willing to consider that such small machines were perhaps reserved for particular tasks, such as shooting in cramped conditions.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks ballistarii Smile . I have completely forgot that some of them are allready on line
http://dekart.f.bg.ac.yu/~nmrdjic/legio/homeleg.htm
Stefan Pop-Lazic
Stefan. I don't understand Serbian but do they say that the missiles weigh 200 grams? Confusedhock: With diameters ranging 14-18 cm they should weigh more...
If the weight is correct, then the stone would be a very light one... I cannot understand.:?
In any case, 200 grams would leave them out of artillery :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Sorry my link is little confusing
when you click link>nalazi>ofanzivno oruzje. Yes they say this but I have to examine these info's. Thanks Aitor.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
I have a real one lying about the house... will see wether i can take a reference pic for you and post it..

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stone balls LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 4 1,456 01-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  nature of catapult stone richsc 1 1,426 07-27-2001, 05:27 PM
Last Post: mcbishop