Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon Reenactment
Hi Athena, Have you read Steven Pressfields "Last of the Amazons"?

The girl in the SARM.JPG pic looks quite similar tio the descriptions given in that novel!

You could do that no trouble!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What move is that? Did I miss something? The book is good, and more in relevance to the Amazons I reckon.... And the look is quite good too! More leathers than woven fabrics I would imagine! And they used lassoos to take down opponents! 8) The book is a good read anyway, whatever path you decide on Athena! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I see! :lol: The book is quite good at creating visuals in the mind, so thet is why I am drawn to that pic of the sarmation girl! Fits the image in my mind... Big Grin
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Some of you guys don't get out much, do you. :lol:

Edge
[Image: 0880-Sid-James-Laughing.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote: am sorry that there aren't more women reenactment groups.

Legio XX and many of the others have women in the groups, just not as soldiers. However, we had a long discussion (years ago now?) and each unit decides for itself who gets to be a soldier or not. Legio XX has kit set aside for Jenny Cline for Roman Days. Personally, anything that is historically accurate or even very probable is worth having at our events. Amazon's per se were, as stated above, probably based on other cultures.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
A whip? That sounds kind of kinky... Confusedhock:

Thanks for the encouragement everybody, I really appreciate it! Big Grin D
Starting a reenactment group in rainy west Oregon is a pretty idealistic goal, but who knows? I am curious if any reenactment groups have chariots. I can imagine a chariot archer could be a fun thing to reenact. Perhaps in Britian?

Athena
Marat Marat its all in vain
You studied the body and probed the brain
In vain you spent your energies
for how can Marat cure his own disease

Athena Kendall
Quote:A whip? That sounds kind of kinky...

[size=150:3cqp2u3m]Nurse...............the screens, quickly![/size]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
You forgot to add a double dose of tranquilizer Barry :lol:

Kind regards
Now Barry is in the hospital? I thought he was in prison! :o )

In any case, the Scythian clip was rather inspiring. It is hard to imagine enjoying battle in any situation, but there is one exception: The Cavalry Charge. Anyone who has galloped full tilt on a horse with a loose reign knows just what a rush it is. It would be even more intense to gallop in the midst of several hundred! Suicide by cavalry charge is the way I want to go. 8) 8) 8)

Athena

Athena Kendall
Quote:
Peroni:3mg5ety2 Wrote:Athena,

The nearest I think you'll get is female gladiatorial re-enactment.

Here's some info. (the group is based in the UK but I'm sure there'll be similar in the US) http://www.ludus.org.uk/r/essaywomen.html

If your lovely avatar is any indicator.. I'm certain I speak for many board members in saying that we would LOVE to see you in your amazon kit!

Thanks! :wink: I am really quite skinny (runners, ya know :? ? ?

Still, I am sorry that there aren't more women reenactment groups. I find this surprising, as when I was small it was me and the girls who played dress up, not the boys.

Thanks for the links! The information about the female gladiators was interesting and I must say, strange. Not that I am not about equality and all that, but when I tried Karate for a couple weeks I learned very quickly that I have no hope of fighting off anyone. Pepper spray is your friend...

Athena

Well, if 20th Century history interests you and you want to portray an authentic woman soldier go with the Soviet one of WWII. Its a fairly cheap kit, about $400 all told, plus no sewing or guess work like there is with ancient stuff.
Tiberius Claudius Vindex
Coh I Nerv
aka Chris Goshey

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/naginata12084/hpage.html">http://www.geocities.com/naginata12084/hpage.html
[quote="Tiberius Claudius
Well, if 20th Century history interests you and you want to portray an authentic woman soldier go with the Soviet one of WWII. Its a fairly cheap kit, about $400 all told, plus no sewing or guess work like there is with ancient stuff. [/quote]

Yeah! I guess it would be easy to pose as Tania Chernova or Lilya Vladimirovna Litvyak! Why go with the rank and file in reenactment? One should reenact major figures from time to time... :wink:

But still, a Russian uniform is not so dissimilar from modern clothing. It would not be quite the departure from my current reality that I seek in the ancient world.

Athena Kendall
Ave AthenaK,

As you might now I'm one of the few here on this board who is actually doing reenactment as a gladiatrix. If you wanna now more about that topic you could check out my webpage, so far the information given is only in German but I hope the English site will be launched in March. In the meantime please feel free to ask me anything you would like to know about gladiatrices etc.

If you tend towards the Skythians I could put you into contact with a woman living near Munich who has a good reconstruction of a femal Skythian warrior as far as I can judge it.

Vale optime,
Here´s a pic of her:
[url:20odn1xq]http://www.freehost.ag/archaeoforum/Userbilder/Ferro/skythin12.jpg[/url]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote: I am really quite skinny (runners, ya know :? ) and small and now that I think about it, I wouldn't be a very convincing Amazon warrior anyway.

You are probably going to look more realistic than 6' tall blokes with beer bellies and a modern haircut :-) Warrior Princess". Herodotus describes the Scythians not recognising them as women until they examined the bodies of those they killed, which I feel is more believable for anyone dressed for battle.

I think Davis-Kimball's evidence from Pokrovka for female Sauromatian and Sarmatian warriors is pretty interesting. Aparently the Sassanians had female members of the Savaran cavalry C3rd-7thAD, who could be also be commanders. Wagner says 5% of continental 'Celtic' female burials contained practical weapons and the Law of the Innocents was passed in Ireland in 697AD forbidding women to fight because it was common.

Quote:Still, I am sorry that there aren't more women reenactment groups.
Absolutely. My group supports female members who wish to display as soldiers and I think it is a very good thing:
Sewerby 2006

Viventius
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Athena,

Quote:Now Barry is in the hospital? I thought he was in prison!

Still in prison, but I had a slight accident in the showers (dropped the soap, and ........well, thats enough of that Confusedhock: ). Should be out of the hospital ward soon!

Seriously though, I think you should just go for it - why not try a Boudicca time period impression?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF