Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather Tunic
Thought I'd let you know about this find from the 60's from Israel. All we can say about it is that the last owner will have been a Jew hiding from Roman troops in the aftermath of the 2nd Jewish rebellion in the 130s AD. Nevertheless an interesting piece I think. The description says: "The upper part of a tunic. The sleeve-holes are clearly evident; the distance between the two is 45 cm. Vegetable (pomegranate) tanned sheepskin." (Yadin, Yigael. The Finds from the Bar Kokhba Period in the Cave of Letters. Jerusalem, Israel Exploration Society, 1963, p.165)
A few other leather garment pieces were found as well, but this one shows the original form best.

[Image: YadinCoL_PL056detail.jpg]
How definite is it that it was worn by a Jew? It immediately makes me think of the overgarment for a hamata that's been discussed before. Not saying it is, mind you, and a lot of wishful thinking :wink:

Do you know what the other leather garments were. Martin?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I'd say very likely, as it comes from within the Cave of Letters, one of several caves in hte area that reportedly had been used as a hiding place by Jews after the rebellion collapsed. That of course at least leaves open the question about whether there were previous wearer and if so, who they were....
Actually, there's a small Roman camp practically on top of that cave.

As for the other pieces, they are fragments, one or two likely to come from a tunic also, but more ... well ... fragmentary.
Is it possible this was a subarmalis or even a leather jerkin of some sort?
Wouldn't necessarily have been a tunic to be that shape.I'm not saying it wasn't a tunic, just thinking out loud.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:Is it possible this was a subarmalis or even a leather jerkin of some sort?

I fear that's improbable as the leather doesn't seem to show any stitching lines typical for padded garments, nor does the descrition mention anything :-( (
Jim is recalling the overgarment 'de Libycis bene confectis pellibus' described on De Rebus Bellicis (RB 15, 3) to protect the thoracomachus from the rain.
From the text it is clear that the thoracomachus was a felt garment to wear under the armour and it can be, subsequently, understood that the overgarment protected both armour and thoracomachus from the rain, thought it is not clearly stated on the text.
Summing up, if the leather tunic was such, maybe we could expect to find mail or scale impressions on the flesh side of leather. :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Thanks Aitor.

I was also thinking of the discussion that was had here:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=8561
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!