Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alfred Duggan Anyone?
Has anyone else read any of Alfred Duggan's work? I have recently read "Three's Company", a historical novel abotu Lepidus, the third member of the second Triumvirate. Putting aside the fact that Duggan wrote some time ago I thought the book was very good. So much so that I have now also purchased and read "Winter Quarters" about two Gauls who join the auxiliaries at the time of Caesar and end up travelling accross the empire and into Parthia with the legions of Crassus.

He was a prolific writer of historical fiction including other eras than Roman. I am currently trying to locate a copy of his book about Mithridates the Great (my favourite enemy of Rome!).
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I have 'The Little Emperors' (about the events 406-408 in Britain) and 'Conscience of the King' (about Cerdic of Wessex).

Considring their age, they're wonderful books! A bit gloomy, but i guess that was not wrong for the times...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ah yes, I have read "Conscience of the King" and thought it was very good. I also think Bernard Cornwell's books set in this era (Lords of the North etc.) are very enjoyable. I am interested in reading the story Alfred Duggan wrote about the emperor Elegabalus too (cannot remember the title just now).
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Duggan was always one of my favorite historical authors. In contrast to Henry Treece's relentlessly grim and brutal novels, Duggan's were light and witty. Be advised that many of the novels have differing titles in Britain and America. For instance, his book about Demetrios Poliorcetes is titled "Elephants and Castles" in Britain, "Beseiger of Cities" in the States. His British titles often involved puns that Americans wouldn't get.
Pecunia non olet
Sulla,

The title of the one about the Emperer Elegabalus is "Family Favourites".

I read most of Alfred Duggan's books when I was much younger - borrowed from local libraries. I don't see them too often these days.

Quinton Johansen/Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quintius,

They are gradually being re-published/re-issued in the UK and I think the US.

Thanks for the title of the Elagabalus book!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alfred Duggan is Back! john m roberts 1 1,236 02-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio