Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any thoughts/opinions of this helmet?
Quote:Well in that case,if I can't turn the train wreck of a Gallic I that I bought on Ebay into a auxiliary helmet I may try my hand at making a copy of the red riveted one

I was just thinking if you changed the angle of the eyebrows you'd be pretty close. Maybe not such a train wreck afterall.

You think Manning meant to leave those missing studs(?) out on purpose?
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:I was just thinking if you changed the angle of the eyebrows you'd be pretty close. Maybe not such a train wreck afterall.

You think Manning meant to leave those missing studs(?) out on purpose?

It would probably be harder to modify the eyebrows than just remove them so,I'll stick to the Aux. B plan for it.
After I finish that ,the gladius and,the fifth century C.E. spatha I'll make up a pattern for the Red riveted helmet.
No chance it's a fake?
Dave Akers.
It has grown on me with each viewing......
note to self...I will not buy another helmet, I will not buy another helmet...... :? ? roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I like it alot,it has the basic look of the other Gallic helmets but,is much more understated.
Truth be told,I was worried it was a fake because it is so different than most other helmets.
Dave Akers.
Looks to be a possible gaullic helmet, taken into roman service, perhaps,maybe? Has that 'feel' to it! :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Looks to be a possible gaullic helmet, taken into roman service, perhaps,maybe? Has that 'feel' to it! :?

It strikes me as something between Gallic A and,C. No brow band,earguards,bosses or,trim but,the basic shape esp. the cheek guards reminds me of the latter helmets.
Gallic A and 1/2 :lol: however,I still like The Red rivited one as a name for it Smile .
Dave Akers.
The more I look at it the more I want one.I'm going to put the other projects on the back burner for a while and,work on a replica of this helmet.
I've worked up a pattern and,hope to get started on it next week.
I'll post some pics.when I've made some progress.
Dave Akers.
There are a few other Gallics with short neckguards:

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,96/

TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:This is a helmet from the Axel Guttmann collection. The Manning version is very good.

The original..
[url:3e8dkj4f]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/peronis/f-200520Weisenau202.jpg[/url]

Ave Adrian,

the depressed look of the eyebrows mirrors the battered condition of the bowl. Seems to belong to someone who wasn’t on the battlefield’s winner side :lol:
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Re the helmet discussed in this forum:

http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEqui ... l#Guttmann

The helmet is on exhibition at the Museum Carnuntinum in Austria and also in the catalogue for the exhibition. Professionally restaured and scientifically documented as I was told. No concern as to authenticity.
The third pic you posted there is my favorite, Jim. Suitable for 9AD?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Re the helmet discussed in this forum:

http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEqui ... l#Guttmann

The helmet is on exhibition at the Museum Carnuntinum in Austria and also in the catalogue for the exhibition. Professionally restaured and scientifically documented as I was told. No concern as to authenticity.

Very good Smile .Thank you.Full steam ahead with the project then.
I'm convinced that this helmet never had a brow guard,the only detail I'm not sure about is the neckguard.
It seems to me that it had two loops one on each edge for the strap so,I'm going to make my reconstruction this way(if I find I'm wrong latter this will be easy enough to fix).
By the way,any idea where this helmet was found?
Dave Akers.
Ave Dave,

Some keywords and data from the Carnuntum exhibition catalogue:
(Franz Humer: Legionsadler und Druidenstab, Katalog, 2006, ISBN 3-85460-229-4(a), pages 104-105, No 342)

Iron
Height: 31 cm including cheek guards
Width: 25,5 cm
Depth: 27,3 cm

Early first century A.D.

Two ancient (supposed) sword marks at the right forehead and right ear cut-out.
All enamelled rived heads are modern reconstructions except of two which are kept in original condition.
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Quote:The third pic you posted there is my favorite, Jim. Suitable for 9AD?
I don't think so, it's a type G.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Has quite an 'old' look to it, with no peak guard, as opposed to the other 'G's..........
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel