Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Scabbard Connection to Balteus
Help!

Having settled on a two belt set up has anyone got evidence, theories, reconstructions etc. of how the gladius scabbard is connected to a belt?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Do a Search on these three words:

gladius belt attached

Make sure 'Search for all terms' is on.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks Tarbicus.

Having completed the search and read the threads the answer seems to be nobody knows!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Yup, that seems to be the case, but at least you have a few options I suppose.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Seems likely it was from organic material, given the lack of any archaeological evidence. One or two hints of small buckles associated with belts and scabbards. Guess I'll go with the diagonal leather strap approach.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I think one of the questions to ask is whether you think a Roman soldier would want to unbuckle his belt to take off his scabbard? If no, then the buckled cross-straps make sense, but if yes then stitched cross-straps would be fine.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I think I remember reading that a gladius from Herculaneum was still "wrapped" in the belt which might imply that the scabbard was "permenantly" attached to the belt. Of course, it might also imply that the owner just decided to take belt and scabbard off together. I do like the idea of the buckle though. Just seems a little more practical than having a knotted thong!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:I do like the idea of the buckle though. Just seems a little more practical than having a knotted thong!
Ah, but the buckle's a weak link - that gives way then bang goes your sword :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Wonder if they were every suspended from "pugio hangers"?
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Salve

Crispus showed me an extract from an article about the sword and scabbard found at Vindonissa. A small isolated buckle was found close to the back of the scabbard, and one interpretation of this is that the buckle belonged to a strap that went through the four suspension rings in an 'X', so the belt could then be fed through the 'X' securing the scabbard.

One possibility.

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Tarbicus,

Quote:Ah, but the buckle's a weak link - that gives way then bang goes your sword

Is this not the same problem with a gladius scabbard on a baldric?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Celer,

Quote:Crispus showed me an extract from an article about the sword and scabbard found at Vindonissa. A small isolated buckle was found close to the back of the scabbard, and one interpretation of this is that the buckle belonged to a strap that went through the four suspension rings in an 'X', so the belt could then be fed through the 'X' securing the scabbard.

I think that this is the option I will follow. Any idea where I can find this article?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I used to wear the two belts with my mail.

I used pugio hangers to suspend the sword.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... hewall.jpg
How does that work for you Adrian? I have thought about doing that myself.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I hate to say that makes the most sense when we know that has nothing to do with Roman thinking. However since the pugio was done that way it only seems right you COULD hang a longer pugio(gladius) in the same fashion. Adrian, it looks really good, too.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,754 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Searching For Scabbard and Gladius PARTS Pointer 19 5,108 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  pompei gladius whit scabbard plates from carnuntum munazio planco 2 2,089 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Last Post: arklore70