Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop the Dolphin Massacre
No we're not uncaring, the generation of my grandparents and most who came before them, would not have seen the problem - they were raised to look at things like this practically. Food came first, luxuries like caring for dolphins came much, much later.

The generation of my parents (born c.1940) had become the decision-making generation in the 1960s, and they were the first to touch upon environmentally-related issues, such as a clean environment and ending animal extinction.

Trouble is, a lot of people today have been born/raised in the 1980s, a time when 'green' was out and a lot of people became indifferent.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Usually there is a "struggling" period where the acute need to survive comes first. After things stabilize people start to care for their surroundings and quality of life.
Example the bleak environmental situation, described in Queen Victoria's letter and the following improvement.
Do yo know that they had environmental laws in ancient Athens?

I believe though that a sudden ease in our modern life had made us more indifferent.

Kind regards
Quote:I don't feel that we are uncaring. Just look at all the recent demos, and societies like Greenpeace etc. These are all general 'people off the street'.
We have more tools at our disposal, such as the media and internet. If you look at the BBC's 'Have your say' for example, people do care.

Maybe it's more of a case that due to the wide distribution and easy access to media, each of us seems to care for widely different causes and there is less unity for a common goal than previously. :?

Thats true....We all do a little bit for a wide range of issues, where maybe before people's cause was just one thing....my mother loves animals and supported BUAV in the 60's and took in strays for instance.
Animals, endangered ancient heritage, the environment, the elderly, vegetarian/organic/free range etc and worrying about young people who drink too much....are amongst the issues that I have an interest in
My grandparents generation were practical people, who ate meat as it was the norm to do so. However, I don't believe any of them who saw that video (or film as it would have been then) would have simply ignored the way those Dolphins were treated. They would have been sickened just as we are, even more so as many of them had seen action in the Forces during the war. The difference being, they would not have known where to complain to, things were different then.
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:They would have been sickened just as we are, even more so as many of them had seen action in the Forces during the war. The difference being, they would not have known where to complain to, things were different then.

And the difference is that we were raised with Flipper the Dolphin.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)