Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know about these lanterns?
Quote:[Image: lantern2.jpg]

This pic is fantastic. Shows great detail/angles that aren't available in the others. Looks like you grabbed it from vroma.org as well. What search terms did you use to find it? Anybody know where the original is housed?

Also, what would be the usefulness of having the base hinged like that? I can't see any purpose for it.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Hi Franklin,

I used 'Roman lantern', then searched the rest of the site. Btw, some say that lantern is dated to the 15th century...

Did you know these are from that awful 'King Arthur' movie? Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
[Image: Lantern2-max.jpg]

Found a clay lantern:
[Image: 5.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Btw, some say that lantern is dated to the 15th century...

Well that's annoying. :x

Quote:Did you know these are from that awful 'King Arthur' movie? Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
[Image: Lantern2-max.jpg]

Yeah, but they seemed to mimic the other two which looked to be legit, so I included them in the original post.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Quote:Found a clay lantern:
[Image: 5.jpg]
That'll be from Alexandria, in the shape of the famous lighthouse.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:
Tib. Gabinius:3i8zn4iv Wrote:I'm not able to translate these sentences, so i write them in german, perhaps one of the better german to english translaters can help.

"Die Kerze brennt in einem Hornzylinder. Zur Erhöhung der Leuchtkraft zog man ihn hoch, bei Luftzug senkte man ihn ab."

Tobias, where did this quote originally come from?

A little small book in german.
Fritz Kretzschmer, Bilddokumente römischer Technik.

Some years old already, but still very nice to get an overview about roman technics.

ISBN 3926642270
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
Nice! www.historicenterprises.com used to have curved panels of horn. You might inquire with them.

For another method to mimic the Roman pieces, you might be able to scavange parts from a modern electic outdoor residential light. I'm reasonably sure I have seen ones in cylinder shapes like that with curved glass at the local hardware store. If you are lucky you might be able to find models with panels of "seed glass" (with minute bubbles in the material).

Cheers,
Tim
Greetings,

From my 18th century projects, you can soak or boil horn to flatten it, but you can also split it into very this sheets, for use as lantern panes etc. A very durable and easy to work with medium.

Another thought, what about mica sheets? I know it was used as panes as well, just not sure of the wheres and whens if you go back past the 16-1700's...some mica I have seen is a white, sometimes pinkish hue.....

Respectfully submitted,

Wes
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Does anyone know, where such lanterns are published? I know of a 3rd century example, but it has 3 "legs" instead of two. I´d like to make some with Stefan, but no literature.... :roll:
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
It looks like these lanterns are no differnt to modern day ones .The top lid lifts of for lighting , the horn lens will slide out,and the frame can hinge out of the way so you can easily refill the oil well and trim up the wick.It also looks like the oil well is fixed to the base plate ,hence the need to have the frame on a hinge.Also with the plentiful supply of horn in Roman times, just cutting of the ends of the horn made excellent lenses and is probable why they are made round Big Grin Regards Brennivs.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I have found a couple of lanternas in Libya. Of course I took a lot of pictures.
From Tripoli museum:
http://www.romanhideout.com/images/ly/tripoli/35.asp
From Leptis magna museum:
http://www.romanhideout.com/images/ly/l ... na/213.asp

(check also the pictures linked on the right menu of each pic)

As you can see they are very very similar to those from Pompeii and British Museum.
What make me wonder was the size: the are huge! Not comparable with the IKEA lantern. The diameter of the round base was for sure more than 20 centimeters and they are both tall 30-35 centimeters.
Probably they were made so big because in smaller type the flame is too close to the horn or leather and there is a serious danger to burn it up. So friends of me tried to convert the IKEA lantern into roman and in fact the horn (they used parchment) burned up.
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net