Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virgil and the Two Muses Mosaic
Here is the stunning mosaic in the Bardo Museum, Tunisia - said to be Virgil. Enjoy Big Grin

[Image: 2006_1104Image0143.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Wether he did or not, that mosaic is an amazing piece of work. Almost makes me want to start working on making my own mosaic.
Lucius (Ryan)
Montani Semper Liberi
Lucius,

I know what you mean. I was lucky enough to see this in the Bardo Museum up close, and it really is a fantastic piece of work.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
How much of of the work around the image said to be Virgil is intact? I'm having a little trouble finding more information on this that I can in fact, comprehend (Although that's more than likely me doing something wrong).
Lucius (Ryan)
Montani Semper Liberi
Quote:How much of of the work around the image said to be Virgil is intact? I'm having a little trouble finding more information on this that I can in fact, comprehend (Although that's more than likely me doing something wrong).

As far as I recall the whole mosaic was not much larger than the picture I have posted. It is mounted on one wall of a room in the Bardo Museum in Tunisia. I would say from memory it is a maximm of 6 feet square.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Lucius,

Link to another full size photo that I took which shows the full extent of the mosaic.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t15/ ... ge0144.jpg
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:Lucius,

Link to another full size photo that I took which shows the full extent of the mosaic.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t15/ ... ge0144.jpg

Ahh, I appreciate it, thank you! I can't begin to come close to that size and quality, but I'm definately inspired to do some mosaic work, now.
Lucius (Ryan)
Montani Semper Liberi

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Virgil and Varus? Epictetus 4 3,420 06-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  What\'s in this picture of Apollo and the Muses? Epictetus 0 899 06-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Epictetus
  Translations of Pliny and Virgil. Anonymous 10 3,925 07-02-2003, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Anonymous