Saepe veritas est dura.
Good article.

Legion: TBD
Here is an earlier discussion of the Hanson article:

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ght=hanson

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:I can hear some people here in Europe say "Oh, how little we understand them!". But I think it is the other way around. I kind of think its funny!
What a surprise.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Good article.
Herodotus mentioned war rhinos and elephants?

It was a comic book for teens. I wish everyone would stop reading too much into very little.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I wish everyone would stop reading too much into very little.

Ave Jim,

pronouncing the title with my gruesome German accent, the result is:

'Free Hun dread' - which means... :roll:
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Not you mate :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Herodotus mentioned war rhinos and elephants?

It was a comic book for teens. I wish everyone would stop reading too much into very little.

Exerpt from that article: "Again, purists must remember that 300 seeks to bring a comic book, not Herodotus, to the screen. "
No, no rhinos, no Oliphants, T-Rexes, or 5 headed monsters named Ghidorah. I just enjoyed reading that article. :wink:

I'm just a guy who likes enjoying comics, movies and comic book movies. To heck with political messages, political correctness, and political agendas. I just want to be entertained for 2 hours because my job stinks. lol

8)

Quote:
Tarbicus:5yiisn8y Wrote:Herodotus mentioned war rhinos and elephants?

Exerpt from that article: "Again, purists must remember that 300 seeks to bring a comic book, not Herodotus, to the screen. "

Sure, but also:

"since the script, dialogue, cinematography, and acting all recall scenes of the battle right from Herodotus’s account."

Yeah yeah, I know, 'just a comic'...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I liked the movie, and after reading most of the posts under this topic I just wanted to put in my two cents. The movie is very inaccurate, but as it has been said, it is based on a graphic novel, which I have read numerous times, and it portrays the novel very well. I was amazed at how well the frames from the book are portrayed on the big screen. The acting was great, the scenery was great, and the overall visual effect of the movie was greatly exaggerated, but added to the intensity.

Regarding any political undertones, I don't think they are apparently evident. You really have to read deep into the movie itself and look for specific examples to draw modern conclusions. And as well all know, when you look for something, and you want to find it, how easy it becomes see it jumping off the screen. I'm from a small hick town in North Carolina, a good example of a gun toting' hillbilly redneck, and to a majority of Americans, even if there was a hidden meaning regarding present day events, we're not bright enough to see it. Most of the kids I went to school with are probably walking out of the theater right now saying "Man, did you see that blood, that was awesome." That is all they'll see, blood, guts, and gore...after all these are the people who LOVE "wrasslin."

Didn't mean to rave (nor offend anyone who likes wrestling...I loved it to when I was younger). Everyone has the right to comment on the movie how they please, but if there are any hidden meanings or so, a majority of people aren't going to notice it, and if they do it will disappear from their minds as does any other idea not blatantly emphasized. I think one aspect of the movie that everyone can agree on is that at least there is something at the theater now that caters to those of us who love ancient history. And more than not, it will convince many to study the battle further and gain a greater appreciation for the ancients, maybe then when these kids are all rich with wealth they will give to museums, archaeological sites, and preservation societies to ensure that this history is around for our children to enjoy.

Also, the soundtrack is really good for those of you who are interested. I got it a couple of days ago and I didn't realize until I listened to it, just how much of an impact the background music had on the entire movie. Really good!
Just a thought!
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:Exerpt from that article: "Again, purists must remember that 300 seeks to bring a comic book, not Herodotus, to the screen. "
Unfortunately, the statement is incorrect - a lie. The movie departs from the comic book, and that is the problem. If it were a mere comic book movie, no problem. But there is a story about "we must reinforce our troops in a far away country" inserted. Whatever one thinks about the movie, it is not "just" a comic book: it has a sincere and serious message that is absent from the book. And that is what Iranians find insulting.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
This is a comic book on film. Perhaps some people have never read a comic book. So allow me to explain. The heroes are larger than life supermen, and are really cool. The villains are completely evil monsters. Comics are not reality.

I know that some comic books have fallen for this cultural/moral relativism crap. This movie isn't that sort of lily livered stuff.

This is real he man hero stuff. And the Spartans are the big heroes. Everyone else, Greek or Persian get out of their way; there's killing needs doing.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Thanks Trey, well-balanced review.

Jona, it's something on the big screen about Persians losing a battle, and not being portrayed very nicely at that. If that had been about Dutch, I'd have protested too.

The timing does not help, either, but then I doubt that the current state of world politics was taken into account when the decision was made to actually make this movie.

So maybe we should leave it at that, and leave the rest to personal taste of each individual?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I agree. Next thing you know the Royal Navy is going to protest the way it's portrayed in Pirates of the Caribean. People take themselves waaaaay too seriously.