Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funds
Ave,

I dont know if this is the right spot to do this, but I need some help with rasing money for my unit. Here are some of the ideas:

1. A practice Pilum (ver cheep ones) at fairs and carnivals.
Problem: These are technicaly weapons so there is a liability issue. I also have to get permission. There has to be a large area, safety equipment, and at least 2 people there at all times.

2. Small Gladiator ring. Using Needle felt swords, cheep sheilds, and some sort of helmet.
Problem: It will not be as interesting as tossing a pilum and there still is the safety issue, but not as bad as before.

3. Regular shows.
Problem: We generally get about 2-4 of these a year and get good money, but they are so few and far appart.

Any suggestions on how to get money for the unit. We also have unit dues, but still that is very little in the long run.

Geracius
"I fear no enemy for the Legion is my strength. I fear not death for my strength is eternal."

Ben Geraci
Make wodden gladius and scutums (children size) then you could give "legionnaire" lessons (ex: making the testudo, and stuff that doesnt envolve free fighting). To get the lessons kids must buy a scutum and gladius.

The parents just have to pay for the wooden weapons and can get their kids a free lesson. You could charge for the lesson but in my experience when you say FREE lesson people become more "open minded" Tongue
Fundraising doesn't have to also be a demo for the group. Dividing the two opens up many possibilities. Just put up a sign saying "all profits are donated to XXX" for honesty's sake.

If Ohio has a strong tailgate party tradition, there's a great opportunity. We've sold homemade barbecue sauce and sausage during football season and homemade ice cream and sorbets during baseball season. Pro games were okay, but the real targets were college games. Beware of the High School games. The local PTA often runs the concession stands, and they can get mean with any they see as competitors.

But speaking of high schools, try to get permission to set up a games kiosk at any local spring faires or halloween carnivals. Most are not hugely profitable, but they don't need a big investment either. And if there are no such things in the area... MAKE ONE! With the current state of fear over trick-or-treating, commercial haunted houses are becoming very popular, and it generally takes about four to six months to plan for a really awesome one. A local college fraternity ran one last halloween that raised over two thousand dollars, and it was just plastic sheeting stapled to a wood frame with some monster makeup on the workers.

If you are part of a registered non-profit or not-for-profit educational organization, apply for state or federal grants. There's a lot of government money available to help out with private education programs that never gets used.
Globuli Non Ludibrii

-- Felix Canus_____
-- Cedric Einarsson