I really enjoyed viewing that. Laudes

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
Great, I really liked it! laudes
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Thank you. Glad you like. I haven't added much to the Domus except for another cubiculum. The slave quarters still need to be completed. Lately I've been putting my thoughts in creating a rpg-like game, set in a small Roman city (Rome is to large to do). The concept is still in progress but for the most part the user(player) would experience daily life in a Roman town. I would like it to be part educational, historically accurate (as close as possible), and most of all fun to play.

I started to write out the storyline, created some conceptual graphics, and put together some rules for playing. It's going to be a while...as I'm doing all this myself ugh! The game would be a free web/text based on-line game, with plenty of graphics.

Typically the player would start out at the lowest level (slave or poor citizen perhaps) and work his/her way up the social status ladder. Whereas, at the higher level you could end up as Aedile (Magistrate) or the owner of a very large villa. Of course going from slave to citizen wouldn't exactly be accurate. So I have some things to work out. Perhaps the player would be given a choice at the start;a slave and possibly end up very wealthy and influential , as some slaves did. Or a citizen whereas you work your way up working different jobs/businesses. Imagine having to work at the fullonicae? Other places to visit would include the taverna, the baths, and various shops, amphitheatre, and of course the Forum to name a few. Each one of these places may include an adventure,a puzzle or something to progress the player or at the very least entertain them.

What do you think? Am I off my rocker or what? lol
Cheers!
- Steve
[url:a8jteds6]http://www.ancientvine.com[/url]
That's a fantastic idea! Big Grin

I would definitely play! It's a fun (and educational) way to transport to the past, so to speak.

Big Grin D
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Keep up the good work. I enjoyed it!
Michael Paglia
So in the game, could you hire people to do dastardly things to advance yourself? Would the players be able to interact? Could you...gulp...die??
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The game sounds very interesting, i'm looking forward to playing it.

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
It would be interesting if the players in the game could interact...and if you could make money deals with each other, buy, sell, have dinner parties, assassinate, you know, the normal Roman day to day cultural events....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:It would be interesting if the players in the game could interact...and if you could make money deals with each other, buy, sell, have dinner parties, assassinate, you know, the normal Roman day to day cultural events....
I think someone created a massively multiplayer RPG set in the second-century CE Roman Empire a year or two ago. It was called Roma Victor I think, but I never looked into it in much detail. But it was intended to have players practice crafts, get into politics, travel, and so on.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:It would be interesting if the players in the game could interact...and if you could make money deals with each other, buy, sell, have dinner parties, assassinate, you know, the normal Roman day to day cultural events....

Exactly! Interaction between players is a must. I would like to closely match the daily life of a provincial Roman city set up as an rpg game, first person/third person POV. The player would be male or female, and start out as either a slave or a citizen. Starting out as a citizen will be no easier than starting out as a slave, at least in the beginning (most citizens in ancient Rome were unemployed as most of the slaves held the jobs). Players would work their way up the social status ladder and as time passes you find new work/roles and over time the player would become increasingly more healthy, wealthy, and powerful. I am modeling the game to include the Patronus/cliens relationship. So in essence, if you are a wealthy Patron you would have a small group of cliens to do thy bidding, be it bribery, work, or support in the next Aedile election.

Slaves/freedman/woman would not be able to vote but again bribery is a possiblity. I'm sure someone as wealthy as Julia Felix bribed a few citizens to vote her way. Else a female player might consider marriage.

I am not sure about death of a player. The jury is still out on that. The only possiblity of death might occur in the arena. Of course a visit to the local Lupanar (brothel) could decrease your health if you are not careful.

I'm still toying with citizens owning slaves. All players will have a residence and as one progresses you could end up owning a villa. A far cry from the rat invested hole you started the game in.

I'd like the game to be historically accurate but fun at the same time. So If you go to the local taverna you could play a game of knuckle bones or lose your tunic in a game of dice. Wind up filthy drunk and mugged by one of the gangs that roam the streets at night. Or wind up hopelessly lost in the sewers under the city only to find a small treasure. Perhaps a sacrifice to Juno might reward you with a new opportunity.

[Image: sewer_1ab.jpg]

These are some things I'm working on. I wouldn't put this game on the same level as Roma Victor. It would be more like something you play for 15-20 mins a day when your bored at work Smile I'm always glad to hear your suggestions.
- Steve
Really enjoyed it - laudes from me too. More, please!
Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Any idea of a schedule for beta release for testing? I'd be willing to give it a try.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks Demetrius, quite honestly I think it's going to be a while before I get a beta out. My goal is Sept '08. I have a lot of development work to do as well as graphics. I''ve been bouncing ideas around a few roman websites to gather data on the interest level. So far it's been pretty good. I'm always looking for people to bounce ideas off of. More so, I am looking for somebody to collaborate with in terms of the storyline.
- Steve
Great job! Well done! Smile
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

As I've said before Steve I'm really looking forward to this! I love all your ideas for the game, especially in being able to interact with other players.
I also think it would be neat if players could kinda choose what they look like in the game (like in Morrowwind, or SW:Knights of the Old Republic), choosing from a set of pre-made eyes, hair, skin colour, etc, to make their own unique character. Smile
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another Roman time action figure (Romanes eiunt domus !?!) Uwe Bahr 0 1,324 08-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Uwe Bahr