Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet choices for musculata?
Besides the attic type helmet seen on the "Praetorian Guard " with musculata are there images of any other kind of helmets worn with it?

And what about the "calvary parade helmet"? Are there any statues or reliefs showing this being used by anyone? I was just thinking I had not seen any but I had not really looked either.
Patrick Lawrence

[url:4ay5omuv]http://www.pwlawrence.com[/url]
Was just looking around and found a Roman cavalry officer in a short musculata. (50AD) [url:3fs4wwo9]http://www.stormfront.org/whitehistory/hwr12.htm[/url] Also now that I think of it I have 3 or 4 more showing men wearing the musculata on horseback.

So I guese they could have worn calvary helmets. Seems like it would be a good look.
Patrick Lawrence

Ave Sulla,

Cavalryman, 2nd c. BC

Another cavalryman, same era

Quote:Besides the attic type helmet seen on the "Praetorian Guard " with musculata are there images of any other kind of helmets worn with it?

Sure. Italo-Corinthians

Roman Hoplites, 4th c. BC

How about Roman marines?

~Theo
Jaime
Ahh great links thanks for the helpSmile
Patrick Lawrence

whats the earliest period we know the metal musculata to be employed en mass as evidenced in that relief of roman marines, was it worn at the same time as the segmentata? and were they specific to a certain region more than others? revena maybe being it was before being landlocked one helluva naval base
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Judging strictly on my observations of the artwork, it appears that the musculata was always in service startting from the early Republic and it never disappears. It even survives well into the Byzantine period.

As for being equipped en masse with them, again judging from the artwork, it seems this was only true to a certain extent among some legionaries before the late Republic. My guess is that it would've been most common among the Triarii, the older veterans, who might have accumulated enough wealth to afford them.

~Theo
Jaime
but that group of marines probably wasnt composed of veteran soldiers? at least the art is decieving if so, and would metal armor be smart for a seafaring soldier to wear? im interested in this ofcourse because my legion was formed largely from former marines, sailors and mercenery types. matt l is working with me and nearly complet on assembling my kit for me, and i went with the segmentata...i just want to ensure one, i am correct and two, i never fault another for his choices based on incorrect historical understanding. thanks
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Quote:but that group of marines probably wasnt composed of veteran soldiers? at least the art is decieving if so, and would metal armor be smart for a seafaring soldier to wear? im interested in this ofcourse because my legion was formed largely from former marines, sailors and mercenery types. matt l is working with me and nearly complet on assembling my kit for me, and i went with the segmentata...i just want to ensure one, i am correct and two, i never fault another for his choices based on incorrect historical understanding. thanks

Sure thing. That's the trouble with judging from artwork - it has severe limitations.

As for marines wearing metal armor at sea seeming improbable, I think we have to remember that the Romans didn't fight as 'sailors' but as regular soldiers. That's why they invented the 'Corvus', or boarding plank, to attach to their Trireme vessels during the Punic Wars. The Carthaginians never boarded enemy vessels, but rather used traditional naval tactics of ramming them.

Carthage should've been able to beat the Romans easily on the sea since they had a long established sailing tradition, but the Roman Corvus completely shocked them since they weren't expecting to be boarded by enemy soldiers.

Good luck to you and your legion.

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:Besides the attic type helmet seen on the "Praetorian Guard " with musculata are there images of any other kind of helmets worn with it?

And what about the "calvary parade helmet"? Are there any statues or reliefs showing this being used by anyone? I was just thinking I had not seen any but I had not really looked either.

"Calvary" ? :lol:

It's not even Good Friday yet :wink:

~Theo
Jaime
People have used metal armor at see a lot so I dont think its at all improboble. They did it in europe in the 14 and 15 hundreds as I was just reading about that period. A lot more armor and a lot heaver armor.
Patrick Lawrence

Calvree better? :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
interesting to consider and yes your right about the europeans. i knew about the plank and their tactics, still wouldnt want to end up overboard wearing much more than me tunic!!! salve n such
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
True but when you are fighting battles that are basicly land battles that happen to be on ships then you dont want to fight without armor either. I would think most soldiers hated fighting on water. No place to run and a very good chance of drowning if you fall overboard.
Patrick Lawrence

Quote:No place to run and a very good chance of drowning if you fall overboard.

Any MANY did drown during the 1st Punic War.

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:No place to run and a very good chance of drowning if you fall overboard.
That all depends on your idea of a Roman soldier's mindset, surely? Perhaps they found the idea of not having to march hundreds of miles to the battle but were taxied there very attractive, and the enemy also couldn't run away with their spoils and booty, the only option being a votive offering to Neptune while you're still wearing the offering Smile
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legion Choices of A Secondary Weapon Dante 12 3,314 04-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Crispvs