Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The A-Z of Greece as seen by Hollywood...
A rather amusing list by the Guardian newspaper.....
AtoZ
Language
Everyone speaks some form of English, so fortunately Greeks, Macedonians, Persians and all those further east subjugated by Alexander have no need of interpreters.
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
i still dont like when they call them greeks there where no greeks at that time Smile they where called their state names

War
The cornerstone of Greek life. How the Greeks managed to invent drama, philosophy, mathematics and medicine I can't imagine, because they seem to have spent their whole time laying siege to cities, conquering the known world, pursuing Persians, raping, pillaging, drinking and arguing with each other in Irish accents.

that one was kinda funny Smile
Quote:i still dont like when they call them greeks there where no greeks at that time Smile they where called their state names

In general 'Hellenes', until the name was outlawed by a certain religious group as meaning 'Pagans'...

Quote:War
The cornerstone of Greek life. How the Greeks managed to invent drama, philosophy, mathematics and medicine I can't imagine, because they seem to have spent their whole time laying siege to cities, conquering the known world, pursuing Persians, raping, pillaging, drinking and arguing with each other in Irish accents.

that one was kinda funny Smile
I thought so too....:wink: :wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Yes they were Greeks and knew it!

Herodotus and Thukidides refer to the term.

And it is attributed to Sokrates-by Plato:

AN THELEIS NA TIMASAI YPO THE ELLADOS DEIKSOY CHRISIMOS AYTHS.
"If you want ot be honoured by Greece show yourself usfull.'

Kind regards
One of my major gripes about the movie! The irish accents! :roll:

Hesphaestion--'Hey Alexander, whats the crack with those Persions over there!?" (In a broad belfast accent)

Alexander--'We're gonna do em, that's what, Hephaestion! '

Heaphestion--'To be sure, Alex, to be sure!'

At least whats-her -name made an effort! And she was of barbarian stock, in case that point has been forgotten! :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Slaves
Notable by their absence in films about Sparta, even though they were the bedrock of Spartan society. Presumably acknowledgment of Sparta's large slave population would sit oddly with a portrayal of a heroic society that valued freedom.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:Slaves
Notable by their absence in films about Sparta, even though they were the bedrock of Spartan society. Presumably acknowledgment of Sparta's large slave population would sit oddly with a portrayal of a heroic society that valued freedom.

Exactly.

That is my argument with the Dr. Hanson article (in another thread on the Forum) and will much of the bombast that has been trumpeted about this film and it's fidelity to the historical truth of battle and the issues involved.

I should say again that I too enjoyed the film (not the best I have seen, nor the worst) and do not think my $6 was wasted. My concern is not with the film itself, nor the comic book, but with all that has been attached to it. IF those who see it are motivated to march over to their local book store and find out more about this battle then I do think the film has served a useful purpose beyond amusing entertainment. However, I fear that too many will accept what they see as either the historic truth or something closely approximating it.

Film is a powerful medium -- Triumph Of The Will is not "just a movie."

The Hollywood School of History -- Classes forming now! Call Today!

Star Wars -- Based Upon A True Story

Forgive me but I do rant on...

:oops: :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
My god dave, stop with the 300 rants...lol. Humans are dumb! Remember when people believed smoking was good for them? lol

Great article, btw...some pretty funny stuff in there.

Legion: TBD
Quote:My god dave, stop with the 300 rants...lol. Humans are dumb! Remember when people believed smoking was good for them? lol

Great article, btw...some pretty funny stuff in there.

what!? isnt smoking good for me?!
Right you are Magnus.

In the words of Pontius Pilate:

"Strike him Centurion -- Very roughly!"

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA