Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Wide Words
Absolutely nothing to do (almost) with Rome, but a wonderful source of meaning for English words and phrases:<br>
<br>
eg, why "high street"?<br>
<br>
www.worldwidewords.org/ <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
That's a very intersting site. I even learned the origins of the word s**t. Cool!<br>
<br>
Bye the way, Rich, you said in another thread something about reading, Cicero. Do you mean a biography of Cicero? I got a biography of Cicero by Anthony Everitt for my birthday, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I was just curious to know if that was what you were reading.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p></p><i></i>
Same one. It even got a mention in my favorite IT digest, www.newsscan.com:<br>
<br>
WORTH THINKING ABOUT: "THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS"<br>
Biographer Anthony Everitt reminds us that the writings of Marcus Tullius Cicero played a crucial role in the formation of the American republic, and goes on to explain:<br>
"Cicero wrote about how a state should best be organized and decision-makers of the eighteenth century read and digested what he had to say. His big idea, which he tirelessly publicized, was that of a mixed or balanced constitution. He favored not monarchy, nor oligarchy nor democracy, but a combination of all three. His model was Rome itself, but improved. Its executive had quasi-royal powers. It was restrained partly by the widespread use of vetoes and partly by a Senate, dominated by great political families. Politicians were elected to office by the People.<br>
"This model is not so very distant from the original constitution of the United States with the careful balance it set between the executive and the legislature, and the constraints, now largely vanished, which it placed on pure, untrammeled democracy."<br>
<p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 2/19/03 6:32:51 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?