Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stylized Greek Armor of Time Bandits
I loved the helmet Sean Connery wore in Time Bandits, but I'm buggered if I can find anything remotely resembling what he wore. I think it was a Corinthian with a horsehair plume and a long horsehair tail in back. Has anyone a source for a helmet resembling this?

Really, any plain Corinthian with a horsehair crest and tail - other than the "royal" variety and the one I keep finding with the checked pattern on the crest - would be welcome.
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
I haven't seen this film as yet...
I found the pictures online Corinthian
and Corinthian 2
but it doesn't look like Sean Connery, more like Desperate Dan, is he wearing a face mask under it... :?
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Yes, I think he had a sort of drama mask on with the helmet.

It's a pretty amusing scene.
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
-Tom
Quote:Yes, I think he had a sort of drama mask on with the helmet.

It's a pretty amusing scene.

Yup. He was playing King Agamemnon.

Although his city and people looked more Moroccan than Greek. :wink:

Smile
~Theo
Jaime
I've always just LOVED that movie Big Grin wink:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Oh, yes, one of my favorite actors in one of my favorite movies! "Randall, there's something you should know!" There are decent Corinthian helmets around--I think Deepeeka was talking about improving theirs, which wasn't bad in the first place. The crest looks pretty normal, though the hair may be longer in the back, like mine:

http://www.larp.com/hoplite/rcRD27.jpg

Best option for a good crest is to make your own, unfortunately...

"I'm a reasonable man!"

The face mask inside the helmet is definitely a movie addition, cool as it may be. Some of the palace guards are wearing the gold "Mask of Agamemnon", as well, while others have a tall Minoan double axe. Neat stuff!

"Five-foot-one and conqueror of Italy--not bad, eh?"

Considering that my Roman crest block broke twice just from being used, I don't have any problem with Agamemnon's being whacked off by the minotaur!

"At least we've got a three-speed hedge cutter."

Connery's armor is clearly based on a linothorax, reinforced, "busied-up", and browned in typical Hollywood manner.

"And how long have you been a robber?" "Four-foot-one, sir!"

What a great flick. Heck, now I want to watch it again, but I have to get groceries tonight...

Valete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
God, I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid...and for some reason it kind of scared me. lol

Legion: TBD
Well, I tried to find a picture of Sean "Memnon. Aga-Memnon" Connery from Time Bandits but no luck. Only publicity stills from Goldfinger.
A very enjoyable movie. Another one by Terry Gilliam.
John Cleese's Robin Hood a highlight(Thank you very,very,very,very much).

And... back on topic I liked his Greek-style armor,too.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:Well, I tried to find a picture of Sean "Memnon. Aga-Memnon" Connery from Time Bandits but no luck.

How's this?

[Image: bandits5.jpg]
[Image: tb_017AgamemnonHelmet.jpg]
[Image: tb_015Agamemnon.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Oh, yes, one of my favorite actors in one of my favorite movies! "Randall, there's something you should know!" There are decent Corinthian helmets around--I think Deepeeka was talking about improving theirs, which wasn't bad in the first place. The crest looks pretty normal, though the hair may be longer in the back, like mine:

http://www.larp.com/hoplite/rcRD27.jpg

Best option for a good crest is to make your own, unfortunately...

"I'm a reasonable man!"

The face mask inside the helmet is definitely a movie addition, cool as it may be. Some of the palace guards are wearing the gold "Mask of Agamemnon", as well, while others have a tall Minoan double axe. Neat stuff!

"Five-foot-one and conqueror of Italy--not bad, eh?"

Considering that my Roman crest block broke twice just from being used, I don't have any problem with Agamemnon's being whacked off by the minotaur!

"At least we've got a three-speed hedge cutter."

Connery's armor is clearly based on a linothorax, reinforced, "busied-up", and browned in typical Hollywood manner.

"And how long have you been a robber?" "Four-foot-one, sir!"

What a great flick. Heck, now I want to watch it again, but I have to get groceries tonight...

Valete,

Matthew

Yeah, I hadn't seen that Depeeka one! Thanks...funny, I avoided going to their web site because I remember how they used to be regarding accuracy. I haven't been in the reenactment biz for quite some time, but that helmet looks like just what I'm looking for (with a bit longer tail, but I think I can modify that).

Thanks again, Matt!
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
-Tom
I have also loved this movie and have always thought that the greek archers at the end were some of the better depictions to be found in cinema.

Although the mask in the helm was fun this discussion calls to mind the golden death mask found in/on an Illyriamn helm from Thrace.

Regardz

MilesMinimus
aka
richard R
My favourite film of all time (perhaps) because I saw it when I was really getting into Mycenaean Greek history in my teens (a love which has never left me).

I have the illustrated script!

Photos below:
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
And here:
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.