Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander the Great was antiquity\'s greatest commander
Quote:I'd caution you very strongly against applying modern morals on the ancient world. Things modern sensibilities might find abhorrent were things they found neccessary. You can't fairly say men who led armies were murderers and criminals. They were a product of their time: its what elite men were expected to do, and the men we're talking about here were celebrated for doing it better than anyone else. Also, most of these generals were politicians as well.

I concur and will take your warning very seriously. Big Grin

But I think I did not say something totally contradictionary to what you said. You can judge historical persons and situations from the modern point of view or you can judge concerning the limited visions of the people and the whole contemporary situation. You only have to make it clear what your starting point is so the audience can evaluate the worth of the arguments. The methods may be good for different purposes.

If the "greatness" of a commander is the object of thoughts I would prefer the method you proposed and the op used. I just had the feeling the methods were mixed in some posts.
Wolfgang Zeiler

Messages In This Thread
re - by Johnny Shumate - 04-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Re: Alexander the Great was antiquity\'s greatest commander - by geala - 05-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Re: - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Re: - by Thunder - 10-18-2010, 01:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient synagogue mosaic may depict Alexander the Great Steven James 3 2,532 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  Massacre of Greeks under Alexander the Great foojer 10 5,064 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Who Killed Alexander the Great? D B Campbell 8 2,926 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Last Post: sitalkes