Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some questions about the Macedonian phalanx
Rewatched several parts of Alexander today, just for the battle scenes, and now I'm wondering about some aspects of the phalanxes as they're portrayed in the movie.
(I know I should never rely on movies for such things, but the battles in Alexander were probably the most realistic I've ever seen on television)

1- What would prevent soldiers with good shields (a Roman scutum for example) from getting through the 'wall' of sarissae?

2- It seems to me that pila would completely devestate a phalanx, but looking at the trouble the Romans had against phalanxes at Cynoscephalae and Pydna, it appears this wasn't the case. Does anyone happen to know the reason for this?

3- In the movie there're gaps between the phalanxes (and I recall reading about it too, but can't remember the source).
I'd guess the main reason for that is better manoeuverability, and to allow slingers/skirmishers to retreat behind the main line before the melee starts.
But wouldn't the enemy easily be able to exploit these gaps?

Thanks in advance Smile
[size=75:18gu2k6n]- Roy Aarts[/size]
Quote:Rewatched several parts of Alexander today, just for the battle scenes, and now I'm wondering about some aspects of the phalanxes as they're portrayed in the movie.
(I know I should never rely on movies for such things, but the battles in Alexander were probably the most realistic I've ever seen on television)

1- What would prevent soldiers with good shields (a Roman scutum for example) from getting through the 'wall' of sarissae?

A lot of sarissae sticking into the shield. Ask the Romans who died fighting phalanges.

Quote:2- It seems to me that pila would completely devestate a phalanx, but looking at the trouble the Romans had against phalanxes at Cynoscephalae and Pydna, it appears this wasn't the case. Does anyone happen to know the reason for this?

I would have thought that, too, but it seems the effectiveness of pilae has been somewhat exaggerated.

Quote:3- In the movie there're gaps between the phalanxes (and I recall reading about it too, but can't remember the source).
I'd guess the main reason for that is better manoeuverability, and to allow slingers/skirmishers to retreat behind the main line before the melee starts.
But wouldn't the enemy easily be able to exploit these gaps?

Plug 'em with peltastoi, that's what they're for. And I seem to recall seeing them used in that way, in the film.
Greetings Roy,
and welcome to RAT... Big Grin
There is a thread here, if you haven't already seen it ....Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation
I just posted an excerpt from Polybius, which includes a description of how one Roman soldier would face two Macedonian Sarissaphoros and 10 sarissas...!
I agree with you, the battles from Alexander are very realistic.... :wink:
Regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Thanks, that answers the question very well Smile
[size=75:18gu2k6n]- Roy Aarts[/size]
Hallo Roy, welkom op RAT!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Article on Reenacting a Macedonian Phalanx Sean Manning 6 55,369 06-02-2021, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  The Macedonian phalanx: overarm or underarm? Justin Swanton 3 3,428 03-13-2018, 03:05 AM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor
  The Nature of Command in the Macedonian Sarissa Phalanx Steven James 0 2,397 10-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Steven James