Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making an aspis
Excellent Job! The paint looks awesome. Especially on that Boeotian.

Legion: TBD
Yes, outstanding work!
Great job! Could we see a profile of the aspis?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks. I'll have to take pictures of it from a profile view as I do not have any on this computer. I can probably get to it soon, and I'll put the picture up.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
That would be great. And here's a laud for your effort!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
That´s a f... cool boeatian shield!!! Confusedhock:

Veeeery nice painting(s)! I´ve painted my one in more simple style, because of the fact, that the 3 aspis (How´s the plural here? :roll: :oops: ) are targets for schooting tests (arrows, javelins,...).
Quote: 3 aspis (How's the plural here?

aspides
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Yeah. I am a joke now among my martial arts students. I keep telling them....no really, I am not making any other shields after this one. The problem is, I keep making one with the intent to use it and abuse it, but then love the way it turns out so it ends up being a work of art on my office wall as opposed to a tool to use. Now 22 different shields later (Scutum, Aspis, Boeotian, Viking Round Shield, Kite, Templar, Hospitillar, 5 Family Coats of Arms, 4 Heaters, Scottish Targe, and 5 shields for my kids) and I still do not have one to abuse. My eight year old son told my wife that he thinks I should make a heater and splatter paint it so I won't feel bad about destroying it. These were the last two I intended to "use"......I think I am just going to buy a cheap piece of crap to learn sword and shield.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
Do you airbrush these or do them by hand?

I do them all by hand. I use paint marker for the fine detailed edges because I have found that the brushes are very difficult to keep from running on cloth. Then I use a small brush to slowly make the lines thicker and to overlap the penmark to keep the edges cleanly defined. Then I take a large brush and finish the main area. Like on the shield with the griffin. I painted it solid white. Then I drew the design on the shield. Then I outlined the griffin in purple and painted all purple on the shield. Then I did the same for the gold. Then I went back and added the detail with black paint on the griffin and stars. So most the shield is hand brushed, but a paint pen is used to keep the edges sharp where I have trouble.
Chris Boatcallie
Demetrius,

I have this picture from a more top angle which shows more of its profile.
Chris Boatcallie
Brilliant pieces. A laudes!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
A Corinthian if the Hylleis tribe! Laudes from me too.
Kind regards
a fine work!
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
I think Chris should go into business making shields, and give us all a free sample. 8)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids) Chris B 112 61,076 10-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius