Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making an aspis
Hello John, welcome to the forum, and happy new year everyone!
I need to congratulate you, your shield is certainly one of the best made out there. I have heard indeed of finds that support the laminated construction, but i haven't sen photos nor read any specifications.
I also like the shape you have given to the bowl.
I agree with you that your next try should be lighter, and remember, strenght does not only come from the wooden core. To the total weight of the shield the leather/linen/gesso/whatever covers and the bronze fittings should be calculated, and overall they shouldn't exceed the 7 kg, i would say. For, if a bronze covered shield (Vatican) wighed no more than that, then i should say a leather covered one should be lighter.

To counter argue my own statement above, however, i should remind that this is an assertion often taken for grantes. For instance, we usually say "a bronze cuirass was heavier, but it was better protection, it was more expensive and a status symbol". WRONG: a bronze cuirass was generally LIGHTER than anything else, plus it offered better protection, it was more expensive, and a status symbol. In all, it was a better piece of equipment is all respects, but it was more expensive.
Same with the shield, a bronze cover probably added more structural strenght than anything else, perhaps no less protection from penetration, and wasn't necessarily heavier than leather or gessoed linen. But it was more expensive and incredibly difficult to make.
Hmmm, food for thought.
But i look forward for your next experiment.

Please, tell us more about how you constructed it. Perhaps some people will want to try it themselves.

Your helmet is, well, i like Craig's helmets, i have two myself. And your sword is very accurate. I will speculate that many of its characteristics were educated guesses by its manufacturer, but i have seen in person swords in great condition that were as simple as yours. I would like to see the modified version you mentioned although if it has a solid iron pommel, this one in the photo is more accurate.
Two iron rings would probably be the most accurate option, although i have seen wood covered with sheet iron, but the idea is that you don't want a very heavy sword.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Dear John,

Please advise final cost of your shield.
If we make a couple the we plan might consider putting them to the
rigors of "Biskupin experience".

Kind regards
Yes I steam bent the wood;howevber with the 2nd experiment I used poplar(a much nicer wood)- it only needed to soaked for a few hrs.
John Dann
Costs are hard to figure - materials -less than $100 but add in cost of tools & then labor (more than 1 hr per slat)& finishing - total cost could be figured at over $2000. In a few days I will have another report with more detail as to how I build this style of Aspis also I am trying to think of ways to speed up construction - at least for distructive experiments.
John Dann
A couple of years back I made a few half-scale aspides by simply cutting arches out of 1/2 inch planks with a band saw, then gluing them all together. One of our members provided a pattern for the arches. I was very quick work. I never bothered to finish them because I was just destroying them anyway, so they looked like Lego block shields. I'm going to do it again full scale and sand the ridges off. This method is much more "realistic" than the circles method. Essentially it is the same as a lathe-turned shield, in which planks are glued together and then hollowed to shape. I just shape them first, then glue them and finally sand to shape. I don't have any images of the 1/2 size shields, but I will post the full size then I finish it.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
I've thought about that method. I would really like to see the arcs for a full sized aspis. I'm considering making one using cedar fence boards, to keep the weight and price down.

Any chance of getting a view of those curves?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I've thought about that method. I would really like to see the arcs for a full sized aspis...
As would I.
Darren
I got the curves from Athena, one of our members, who made a beautiful turned aspis: http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?fu...&id=199885

I'm sure she'd supply it, but its not mine to share.

Here is an image of one of my long slices that I used for testing different profiles and shapes of the sidewall sections. You will need to cut the proper profile for each slice, beyond the total sizeand curvature. The top end of the slice below is taken from the Vatican aspis. I can supply an image of this to use as a pattern for the side walls.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
John, kudos on the aspis! That looks to be the best reconstruction I have seen to date!
I look forward to seeing you next update!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Paul,

If you have the pdf I posted showing the shield slices, please post it. It got stripped away in the server change-over. I have a new computer at work, and i don't know if the pdf migrated to my new machine. Any one who wants to try the sliced version of aspis construction should have any info available.
Cheryl Boeckmann
[attachment]Shieldslice.pdf[/attachment]
Found it!

But I can't upload it! What's the trick?
Cheryl Boeckmann
I seem to recall a similar problem not too long ago...

Did you try the Insert item in red letters after uploading it? :-?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Click reply, and at the bottom should appear "Attachments 1. [box] [Add File}
After clicking the Submit button (and leaving the box blank) you should be prompted to locate the file on your computer. When you find it, click on it, then "Open". That should list the file name and location in the [box] Click "ADD" and it ought to go.

There is a limit on file size, though, so perhaps the file is too large?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, heck. I couldn't get a file prompt to happen. The pdf is 425kb. How big is too big? If Paul doesn't have it, I will email it to anyone with a big mailbox. Just PM me.
Cheryl Boeckmann
I'll try to upload it below

Paul M. Bardunias

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids) Chris B 112 61,011 10-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius