Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List of Roman Battles
Quote:Then how was Arrianus able to write his Ektaxis kata Alanoon (Order of Battle against the Alani)? :wink:
Easy. It´s known as a treatise, the manual of how he is going to tackle the Alans. Pure theory.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
@Roy: Wow,thank you,didn't know that and to my disgrace I have to admit,that I've even read Suetonius' book "De Vita Caesarum"... :oops:
Kai H. Teipel
Quote:Easy. It´s known as a treatise, the manual of how he is going to tackle the Alans. Pure theory.

Searched just about every source about that time period, and didn't find anything about a battle against the Alani. :oops:

The only reference to Arrianus and the Alani is Cassius Dio 69.15.1, but he doesn't specify whether there was a battle.
[size=75:18gu2k6n]- Roy Aarts[/size]
Exactly. No secure source available, of course, but the work was written as a clear preparation on how he (as the governor of the province) was going to do it. He never amended it afterwards on how he did it, nor did he suffer a defeat, so all assume the Alans avoided a confrontation and turned around. A non-event, after all.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Just a quick note to tell there won't be any updates for a couple of weeks, as I'll have to go on a long and boring holiday Sad

However, I'll try to put as much works by Roman historians as possible on my mp4-player, so that I can work on getting the sources for all the battles added as soon as I return.

And because I probably won't have anything better to do anyway, I'll try to write a long article about one of the the most interesting (in my opinion :wink: ) Roman generals, Lucius Licinius Lucullus Smile
Quote:Just a quick note to tell there won't be any updates for a couple of weeks, as I'll have to go on a long and boring holiday Sad

Och arme kerel! Big Grin
Have a good one and come back to us all rested and relaxed!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Roy
To the year 216 BC, I would also add another important battle, the forces of praetor Lucius Postimus who operated in Cisalpina Gall, were ambushed and destroyed by Gauls in Litanam Forest. According to Livius, his forces conteined 2 Roman Legions and ally forces (jointly 25 000 men) [Liv. XXIII., 24.], Polybios mentions one legion [Plyb. II., 106 and 118.]. I would rather support the number given by Polybius becouse Postimus was in rank of praetor (although assignet to be consul after the death of Paulus - Livius 24.). The battle took place after the clash of Cannae, we can assume that because Livius writes that Postimus was alredy assignated to the rank of consul "L. Postumium consulem designatum in Gallia ipsum atque exercitum deletos." [Liv. XXIII, 24.]. It's also hard to tell how many casulties were there, sure thing is that enitre army vanished, Livius claimes that only 10 men survived the sloughter.

PS: I'm also writing an article about Lukullus (especially focused on III war agians Mitrydates), so perhaps we can help each other, he's very interesting person Smile
Daniel Budacz

Fortuna non penis, in manus non receptus...
I probably missed a lot more battles than just that one :oops:
I'll probably come across a lot of them while reading all the Roman history stuff, and add them when I return.
More than 20MB of plain text, that's a lot to read Confusedhock:

This is what I've gathered so far, anything I forgot?
- Cassius Dio
- Appian
- Polybius
- Sallust
- Tacitus (Agricola, Annals, Histories, Germania)
- Ammianus Marcellinus
- Velleius Paterculus
- Suetonius
- Frontinus' Strategemata
- Vegetius' De Re Militari
- Dionysius of Halicarnassus
- Historia Augusta
- Livy (books 1-10 & 22-45 + the Perochiae of the other (lost) books)
- Plutarch's Roman Lives
- Res Gestae Divi Augusti
- Excerpta Valesiana
- Julius Caesar's Gallic War, Civil War, Alexandrian War, African War, Spanish War
- Florus' Epitome of Roman History

Quote:PS: I'm also writing an article about Lukullus (especially focused on III war agians Mitrydates), so perhaps we can help each other, he's very interesting person

Mine will probably be finished when I return from holiday, but we'll see Smile
Quote:This is what I've gathered so far, anything I forgot?
Zosimus?
Salvian?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I would also add:

Diodorus Siculus "Bibliotheca historica"
Florus "Epitome de T. Livio Bellorum omnium annorum DCC Libri duo" but you should be careful with that.
Iosephus Flavius "Bellum Iudaicum"
Daniel Budacz

Fortuna non penis, in manus non receptus...
Thanks Smile
Florus' Epitome is already in there.
Roy,

Have you heard of
Julio Rodriguez González
Diccionario de batallas de la Historia de Roma (753 a.C.-476 d.C.)
Signifer monographs, II. Madrid, 2005
ISBN84-933267-4-7 ??

It is a massive work that dwarfs Montagu's. 700+ pages, A4 sized, two columns in small type, it contains details on 3.386 roman battles, including references to original and modern sources.

You should love it. ANd yes, it is in Spanish... but being a dictionary you should not have much trouble reading it...
Haden't heard of that one before.
The problem is that such books are always so expensive Sad

Just a quick status update about the rest Smile
I'm working more than 40 hours a week now, and also have some stuff here at home to do, so for the next few weeks I won't have much time to work on this.
Very well done! I am currently doing the exact same thing for the Byzantine Empire. Maybe I should create a post in the Greek section; what do you guys think?
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
That'd be great, and a fantastic resource for those of us like me who know very little of the Byzantines.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 10,967 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316
Question A list of each Roman helmets date? Robcore 2 1,153 07-06-2020, 09:52 PM
Last Post: xxLegion2019
  Looks like the list of Roman Battles will have to be updated Lanista 1 1,228 01-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius