Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corinthian helmet Variations
Hi All,

I am a new member and only just getting into Greek re-enactment. I have a helm which i acquired locally Its a Corinthian helm with the ear area cut away. My question is how much variation is there in the helms, mine has a overly rounded top above the eyebrows is ok or are they pretty much the same?

Is there a good site on the net with pictures of helms that are not usually seen, i have heard of irregular helms being held in storage by musuems for not fitting the standard acceptable shapes.

Any help would be great. If you need me to i can post pictures of the helm and few other items i have.

Iason Skiathitis

Jason
Jason

So much to learn, so much to make.
Quote:Iason Skiathitis

Jason

Jason

How many of you are there ? :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi

I belong to a group which does 220BC where i do an Greek slinger(peltas?), for this i am still working out an exact location for my impression. The group has about 15 members, and is Roman based but allows for Greek interaction.

For this kit (5thC) i am doing it for personal enjoyment

Iason Skiathitis

Jason
Jason

OHHHH

i feel like a twit, i didnt realise i had a signature attached :oops:
Jason

man not even Spaniard noble man hasnt got that long name :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Iason Skiathitis, Jason, Iason and Jason ( :wink: )...

If there is a group of you then you should all consider getting a copy of this book, Antike Helme, to share between yourselves:
http://www.antikmakler.de/catalog/produ ... ts_id/1957
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ ... tion/Oxbow

Or better still (it's not cheap) see if there is any way to get access to it via a library. All in German.

It has whacky helmets aplenty. Do a Search on RAT for mentions of it.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Jason

Email me your mail address think I have copy of Antike helm you can have as bought the original some time back.

I also send you a disc of all the helmets I down loaded over the years.

I sure you find something you like

Craig Gascoigne
Hi All

Well i have now provided everyone with a good laugh i hope we can all put this rather amusing episode behind us :oops:

Thanks for the info and links Smile

Thanks for that Craig, i will email you off list with the address.
Jason

Nice to have a banana bender on the list.

What group are you with? There's a good number of us Aussies doing Ancient - particularly in NSW. Are you in contact with them?

Oops! Didn't notice that Craig had already contacted you. He'll see you right. Really nice guy, very knowledgeable, kind to children and small furry animals . . .

[Can I have my money now, Mr Gascoigne?]
"It is safer and more advantageous to overcome the enemy by planning and generalship than by sheer force"
The Strategikon of Emperor Maurice

Steven Lowe
Australia

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for a new Greek Corinthian helmet, any ideas? Achilleion 2 1,912 01-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Achilleion
  The corinthian helmet on horseback? Steakslim 5 2,034 12-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Modifying a Depeeka Corinthian Helmet Tim Mathews 11 5,151 07-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius