Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An open invitation from the Batavians!
Salve Omnes!

Recently I have been approached by Roman Re-enactors from the USA and Sweden with regard to them becoming Batavian auxiliaries.

Martin, from the Swedish group, (formerly COH IIII Delamatarvm) approached me for information with regard to the Batavian cohorts (as there is a lot!) and, to the history, epigraphic evidence, names etc. that I had put together for all of the Batavian cohorts. I subsequently supplied them with all the information I had regarding the Batavians and also patterns and guidelines for the shields and kit guides. They have since chosen to become Cohors III Batavorum and are now up and running. They use the same shield pattern as ourselves, but with a red background colour instead of green.

Again, within the same week, a re-enactor from the US got in touch wanting to become a part of COH I BAT as a perigrinus. I have obliged by supplying the information which is not currently available on our website, and the same shield pattern stencils and colour swatches etc etc.

My colleague Caballo (Paul B) came up with the idea that we (The RMRS) could make an open offer on RAT (romanarmy.com/rat) that any aspirant auxiliary group or existing Legionary group that wishes to have an associated auxiliary contingent, wishing to affiliate with the Batavians is very welcome, and can either be a ‘satellite’ peregrinus of COH I BAT or whichever Cohors (I, II, III, VIIII, Ala I). We would then provide the painting guides, epigraphic evidence, names, history, and advice free of charge via email. And of course, if people don't want to paint their own shield, a very similar off the shelf version from ‘Deepeeka’ is currently available. If they have a website, a credit and web-link to our site would be requested.

It could be the beginning of building a world-wide Batavian auxiliary unit that really would be THE leading (and largest) First Century auxiliary unit.
The opportunity to display at European events together would be fantastic.

Of course the invitation is not constrained to infantry, cavalry information is also available! And of course let us not forget the Hamian archers!

Anyone interested can get in touch with either myself or Caballo via a PM.
1. We're lucky that I actually registered the domain Peroni uses there. :wink:
2. All Batavians are hereby ordered to come to the RAT conference this November which will take place in their homeland. They will get the chance to visit the museum for some very fine examples of Batavian equipment.
3. (shameless plug): Adrian has written an article on the Batavian auxiliaries at Mons Graupius. This will be published in the first issue of Ancient Warfare and will be accompanied by wonderful illustrations by Johnny Shumate.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I will be there! I think Caballo will be too.

Any hotel recommendations? :wink:
Quote:Any hotel recommendations? :wink:

We (Jasper, Jona and I) will put some more information (hotel recommendations, lecture room, programm, etc) online soon.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Yes, our new meeting bureau is called 3J Conferences. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Fantastic! I will try to be there! I just hope is not the same weekend as The Swordfish HEMA event in Gothenburg.
Its in the diary- 23/24 Nov at Nijmegen?

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Its in the diary- 23/24 Nov at Nijmegen?

The dates have changed! Due to an exhibit at Museum Het Valkhof. It's now the weekend of 9/10/11 Nov.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I was born in the Insula Batavorum area.
So naturally I have a strong interest in this.
Where do I find this website ?
This may be, by the way, interesting for the Nijmegen event of next year.
Peroni, can you supply me with the current info through [email protected]
I'm currently working on an impression of a Aux.
The more info the better.
Cheers, Wim/Cordvs
Pvblivs Cordvs
(Wim van Broekhoven)
CORBVLO
Quote:Where do I find this website ?

www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks, should have known.
Wim.
Pvblivs Cordvs
(Wim van Broekhoven)
CORBVLO
Wish I was a Batavian.....

Just a question which I should already know, but where precisely is the Insula Batavorum area in present day Netherlands?

I was up at Dan Helder last week, anywhere near there?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I was up at Dan Helder last week, anywhere near there?
Errr, that depends on your perception of 'near', but relative to the size of the Netherlands, no, that's not near. Most likely the Batavian island was the area between the rivers Rhine and Waal located to the north and west of Nijmegen.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Right, I recall that now, seems I was looking it up on a map a while back for some reason......too many distractions!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Going 'Off topic'??? :wink: ...

Byron wrote..
Quote:Wish I was a Batavian.....

Then switch sides! :wink:

@Wim
Quote:Peroni, can you supply me with the current info through [email protected]
I'm currently working on an impression of a Aux.

What specifically are you interested in Wim? any particular cohort etc?

There's a lot of Batavian related info already up on the website (see my signature for the link) Whatever you need that isn't there, let me know.