Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An open invitation from the Batavians!
Wim,
email sent.. :wink:
I don't suppose the Batavians made it to North Africa, Syria and the like? I could start up a "Desert" chapter.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Whilst the legionaries spread rumours that we prefer sheep to camels, I don't see why a vexillation of COH I BAT on desert duty shouldn't exist... Big Grin

I don't recall any historical Batavians east of Pannonia (Peronis- is this correct?)- but then even the amphibious Batavians didn't make it across the Atlantic- and we now have Batavian units in the USA....

So, my advice would be to go for it!

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Caballo wrote..
Quote:I don't recall any historical Batavians east of Pannonia (Peronis- is this correct?)-

Following the Marcomannic wars, the third Century Garrison of the Ala Batavorvm M cR is suggested as Syria Palaestina!

Also a soldier from the Numerus Equitum Batavorum is recorded on a gravestone at Adana, (Cilicia) Turkey. (Icilicie 00047). However this soldier may have been a long way from his unit’s garrison when he died.
Quote:Following the Marcomannic wars, the third Century Garrison of the Ala Batavorvm M cR is suggested as Syria Palaestina!

Does anyone in your group do such a third century impression, and more importantly is there enough information to be able to come up with something accurate?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I'm putting one together (far too slowly..) based on the Lyons finds of 197 AD (the Utere Felix belt and spatha) as is Celer.

Crispus has a good impression (poss slightly later) and Peronis does a rather dashing cavalryman with his squamata and Buch helmet.

Not Batavian specific- in fact Celer and Crispus are with the Legion XIIII GMV and Peronis and myself are (of course) with COH I BAT.

Cheers

Caballo

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Quote:Does anyone in your group do such a third century impression, and more importantly is there enough information to be able to come up with something accurate?

As Caballo says, but we also (at some events) do a 'Roman soldier through the ages which covers Hoplites, Samnites through to late fourth century.

We have a Third Centry infantry Impression or two.

I also forgot to add the reference to the third Centry Batavian posting..
It's AE 1975, 00469 (Corsica : Aleria)
al]ae |(milliariae) Bat[avorum 3]
[3] Syriae Pa[laestinae
Well, then I guess you could have a Desert cohort (well one person) if that is OK with you guys.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Marhaba! (welcome!)

Big Grin

Cheers

Cabalo

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Send me a PM with your email details Barry, and I can forward all the info to you!

Now we have desert rat as well as water rats! :wink:
Quote:Marhaba! (welcome!)

Chokran (Thanks!)

Big Grin
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:Send me a PM with your email details Barry, and I can forward all the info to you!

Now we have desert rat as well as water rats!

PM sent Peronis

Desert Rat :lol:
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Adrian wrote:
Quote:My colleague Caballo (Paul B) came up with the idea that we (The RMRS) could make an open offer on RAT (romanarmy.com/rat) that any aspirant auxiliary group or existing Legionary group that wishes to have an associated auxiliary contingent, wishing to affiliate with the Batavians is very welcome, and can either be a ‘satellite’ peregrinus of COH I BAT or whichever Cohors (I, II, III, VIIII, Ala I). We would then provide the painting guides, epigraphic evidence, names, history, and advice free of charge via email. And of course, if people don't want to paint their own shield, a very similar off the shelf version from ‘Deepeeka’ is currently available. If they have a website, a credit and web-link to our site would be requested.

It could be the beginning of building a world-wide Batavian auxiliary unit that really would be THE leading (and largest) First Century auxiliary unit.
The opportunity to display at European events together would be fantastic.

Hello Adrian:
I remember in the Kirby Hall days when some of the various Roman groups came together. Not only did they field a legionary century there was also a large contingent of Auxiliaries including cavalry. As the Ermine Street Guard was the senior unit and at the time the largest it fell to Guard officers to org anise things. Which I am sure went down really well with the other groups! I do not know if you where there Adrian, as I was not wearing my glasses on duty so everything and everyone was a blur! Big Grin Guard members really looked forward to the prospect of me drilling them on Scarborough Roman signal station near the cliff edge!!!!

At the time I was squad leader of the Guard Auxiliaries so I had the pleasure of sorting out and drilling the group of Auxiliary infantry. Guard members were put at front and rear, non Guard members were placed in the middle. After a morning session of drill, the non Guard members could still not move from line of twos into column of fours and back into twos. Neither could they reform back into their original positions at Ad Signa. In this situation there is little one can do but to repeat the exercise and hope it will eventually sink in. After all, you can shout but some people do not appreciate being hit with the stick or butt of a spear! So we were still practicing when we were waiting to go out onto the display field which really annoyed some of the Guard members. (I got voted out as squad leader that year as a result, yes it was tough in the Guard!) Just as everyone seemed to be getting things right and we were about to go on the display in front of 12,000 spectators one member of another group just walked away! His colleagues offered the explanation that he did not like being ordered around which made me wonder why he had joined a military re-enactment society! Of course his action seemed to me to be not only totally unprofessional but he had just made it more difficult for those left in the ranks and who now had a gap to contend with. The following display and that the next day were both a total shambles, when the order was given to form on the standards soldiers were running around in circles trying to remember their position and then trying to swap places with the person standing next to them with arguments over who was in the right place, all this taking place in front of the public. For the first time in over 15 years of taking part in displays I actually felt ashamed.

The next year with even more members taking part and a much bigger Auxiliary contingent the new Guard squad leader asked me to help him out. It was not a happy prospect but I hit upon the idea of keeping everyone in their respective units even if that meant dispensing with the neat rows on the march, so one rank might have four the next three etc.... Everyone was next to someone they knew and could of course recognize their individual shield blazons and colours. I also adopted a less rigid formation when approaching the spectators and the soldiers fanned out but keeping their colleagues on either side and then reforming back into their own units within the whole column. It worked like a dream and compared with the previous year it was a pleasure to have taken part. I felt after-wards that I should have said at the end of the week end that it was a pity the Auxiliary units could not march together more often.

So Adrian if you want to bring together groups from all over the world to perform together and give a decent display you have my best wishes!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Tough!

Well, We are so few right now so it won´t be a problem to keep the third in a line ... hehe!

Lots of drill is nessesary I belive.
Quote:So Adrian if you want to bring together groups from all over the world to perform together and give a decent display you have my best wishes!

Last year at the LRE II at Archeon I had the pleasure to do my first commanding of a unit of c. 20 men, comprised of 5 to 6 groups..

Can't say it went perfect, but I think it went well enough. Big Grin But for a next LRE, I'm developing a system of file leaders (files based on groups, like you advised) that would allow for larger units based on many small groups to do an interesting drill.

[Image: 2006archeon_Igermanica11.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)